Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: sports lens
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm 
hey i am fairly new to the dslr thing. I purchased a nikon d5000 a few months ago with the 18-55mm kit lens. After a month i wanted more reach so i purchased a 55-200mm. This lens works great for photographing football and baseball, but not so well for hockey. I find that I can't get a quick enough shutter speed to stop the motion. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a lens that will have a fast lens for hockey that is around $500. I am open to used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm 

Well, the bigger the aperture the less blurry photos you get. The aperture size is denoted by the "F" value... on your lens it's probably something like "3.5-5.6". This is a variable aperture lens, at the far end it closes down. This is a rough indication of a low quality lens.

So, go for the biggest aperture (lower 'F' Value) that's within your budjet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:00 am 

Hi Golf,

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest look at the shutter speed you used on the shots you are not happy with, try increasing the speed and ISO and do some panning. Since you have your D5000 for a few months, try experimenting a bit and find out what the camera and lens really does before you go and buy a new lens. Suggest you look in this section and bird section of moving subjects and look at the EXIF's if available. Post a shot you are not happy with and the shooting info, I'm sure many here will give you advice.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:06 am 
hey,

Thanks for the replies. Wondering if you guys know anything about the 28-75mm f/2.8 tamron? How would you rate this lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 am 

Hello golfnphoto, and welcome to the forums!

For now, you may want to take a look here for some tips on how to get better action shots. The panning technique certainly is useful to eliminate motion blur.

The Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 is a good lens, however do you really think that 75mm will be good enough for telephoto shots? You'll really want at least 200mm to get up close at sporting events, unless you're sitting right up front.

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:29 am 

Agree with EvanK's 200mm comment, Hey, don't think every shot you shoot is going to be a winner, if I get 5 out of 100 I think that is good.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am 

How about the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 non-OS? For an f/2.8 telephoto zoom it's pretty affordable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 am 
I was going to suggest the same lens as janern. If you can pick one up used it'd be a steal, if not they are quite affordable used.

As you note, its the fast shutter speed you need, so you need an f2.8 and image stabilisation isnt important.