Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:18 am 

hi,

i rolled into photography because of skating. that's why my ultimate goal is to become really good at skate photography. yesterday was my first try and i'd like to know what you think of it :)
DSC_1890 by thibault_93, on Flickr

Last edited by umbraticus on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:04 am 

Hello umbraticus, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Very nice image, you should try some flashes to illuminate the subject better though. What did you use to capture the image? Which camera and lens (If you're using a DSLR)?

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 am 

nikon d7000 with sigma 17-50 f/2.8
i'm planning on buying a sb900 at some point, but i've already spent a lot of money right now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:53 am 

Nice shot! I would have gone for a tighter crop though. And i agree with what EvanK said about the flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 am 

You may also want to consider the Nikon 10.5mm DX AF Fisheye, I've notices that skate photographers often use fisheye lenses low on the ground to capture a wide field of view. It's relatively inexpensive (About $700 Canadian around here) and I think that it would be a good lens for your type of photography.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:26 am 

i also considered to crop away more sky, but then i had the dilemma of putting the skater in the crossing point of the rule of thirds or less sky. the rule of thirds had more power in my mind, but i'll try some different crops on my pc. :)

about the fisheye, i don't really like fisheye lenses. firstly, the effect can be nice in some pictures, but not often. that's why i think it costs too much to buy such a lens just for those few photo's. i'd rather buy a flash, telezoom or tripod for that money. or when i would buy one i would over-use the lens because i spend that amount of money on it, so i would 'have' to use it.
secondly, as you said, a LOT of skate photographers use fisheyes. i'm kinda tired of the effect now :p... plus, i want to stand out more.

thanks for all the feedback :)