Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:00 am 
i have a question i am looking to get a new canon 40d. i was wanting to take picture not only one shot at a time but also with the 6.5 fps on the 40d. Well my question is should i be using an IS lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi wat3rpolo, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

An IS lens will help reduce camera shake on subjects which stay still - so IS will help keep your background sharp, but not your riders. And if you're moving the camera to follow the riders, then IS won't help at all.

What you want is a lens which focuses quickly - which in Canon's world means one with USM. If it also has IS, then great for normal use, but it may not be helping for all your action shots.

You'll also be using fast shutter speeds to freeze the action which means gathering lots of light. So you're also looking for a lens with as small an f-number as possible, and or a big flashgun. The latter are really useful for closerange action shots like these.

Zoom lenses with small f-numbers can be very expensive - check out the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 for example.

But if you can live without a zoom, then consider doing your action shots with a fixed lens like the 50mm f1.4 - relatively affordable, very bright aperture (four times brighter than an f2.8 ), and quick USM focusing. If you were asking about portraits, I'd suggest the 50mm f1.8, but it doesn't have USM focusing, so isn't as good for action. I was at a snowboard event where the pros were shooting with Canon 50mm f1.2 lenses, but that's serious money.

So what's your budget? If you've got some cash, I'd say go for the EOS 40D plus the 580EX II flashgun and either the 50mm f1.4 or if you can afford it, the 17-55mm f2.8. Not cheap, but a lovely package!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 am 
first off thank you so much for the advise it will be helping me alot.

and budget is pretty limited but i can save for what i need.
and i can live without the zoom for these types of shoots because i won't be too far away from the action.

- Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Remember if you don't need live view and you can live with 8 mpixels, then consider the EOS 30D instead of the 40D - it's one of the cheapest DSLRs with 5fps continuous shooting...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon30D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 am 
yeah that is very true, i could live with the 8mp. But i'm pretty fixed on getting the 40d. I don't know what it is about it but the camera but i have used my friends on many occasions and i fell in love with it. But i will look into getting the 30d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 am 
Site Admin

You should certainly consider it - very similar look and feel.