Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: old cars
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:28 pm 
I've just made a few photos of an old cars rally. Here's a sample. To see the rest, please see my Flickr page, "cars" folder. Maybe you could help me identify each one's maker and model?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:57 pm 
Well image No DSC_0725 is an old MG Tourer probably a "TF" year not sure, the name "MG" came about when William Morris who built Morris cars at the Cowley Works in Oxford wanted to build a more sportier car than he did at Cowley so he bought a small building on the Cowley Road about a mile from the Cowley Plant and he called it "Morris Garages" hence the initials became the famous badge "MG". Production at a later date was moved to larger premises in Abingdon these premises are not around anymore and have been turned into a Retail Park, the Plant at Cowley Oxford is still there albeit a lot smaller than in its heyday and is used to build the new "Mini" and is built by some back street mob who call themselves BMW :lol: please don't take offence at my remarks as no offence was intended... it's just that Oxford is where I hail from and I like British Cars... as for the other images Luis, can't help you.
P.S. where were the pictures taken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:08 pm 

Luis! Did you postprocess this or was the motion-blur original? Looks phantastic!

I myself have only caught an old Morgan tricycle:

As it stands still, this entry certainly does not qualify for action photography :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
Luis! Did you postprocess this or was the motion-blur original?[/b]!

No, I only cropped it. It was a lucky shot. I tried doing the same with three or four other cars (panning while shooting) but this was the only one that got the effect I was looking for. The camera was set for aperture priority, instead of shutter priority. It was all very fast and there was little time to think. I'll know better, next time. :wink:

By the way, can anyone tell what those structures on the background are?

Last edited by luis on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 pm 
Defiant wrote:
P.S. where were the pictures taken

They were taken in Cadaval, a small portuguese village about 65 km (40 mi) to the north of the capital, Lisbon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:53 am 
Nice shot Luis - not too fast - not too slow - but motion is there.
Setting to Aperture could have been a blessing in disguise.
Nicely done !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:35 am 
luis wrote:
By the way, can anyone tell what those structures on the background are?

Well, to answer my own question, those are old wine silos (were fermentation used to take place). In our days, stainless steel is used instead of mortar and bricks. :)