Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ice hockey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:57 am 

Hi everyone,

i watched my first ice hockey game yesterday and i used the opportunity to take some sports photographs. As a lense, i chose my Tokina 100 mm f2.8 macro, because its the fastest lense i currently own and it has a somewhat sufficient focal length.
The ice hockey game took place in a small local town where they have no ice hockey hall. There weren´t too many spectators and i could stand directly next to the field :P .
All shots were taken at Iso 1600-3200 , f2.8-4.0 and shutter speeds between 1/320s - 1/640s (where i feel that 1/320s is almost to slow).
I developed and cropped the raw files with Canons DPP.

So what do you think about those pictures ?
Personally i think that the Tokina lense performed quite good, although it could be a bit longer and a bit faster (lightwise and AF wise) :).
I had a bit trouble with the manual white balancing cause i didnt find any setting with a proper white, but maybe thats a problem of underexposure.

Overall i had a lot of fun watching ice hockey and i really can recommend it to anyone who never saw an ice hockey game before.

greetings

Post subject: Re: Ice hockey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 pm 

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! :D It's my favorite sport to watch.

As for your photos, I love #4! That's a pretty cool moment to capture. I also like #1 and #2.

And a quick lesson in hockey lingo:
Quote:
The ice hockey game took place in a small local town where they have no ice hockey hall. There weren´t too many spectators and i could stand directly next to the field

1. "ice hockey hall" = arena
Was this an outdoor rink? Or just a small arena with no seating?

2. "field" = ice or rink
In the context you used, you could also say you were "at the glass" (referring to the sheets of protective glass).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm 

Hi Starbug,

thanks for your comments and the little lesson on ice hockey terminology :) .
So the game actually took place in an outdoor rink and there wasn´t glass all around the ice ( so thats were i was standing ).

greetings

PS: I will be watching another ice hockey match tomorrow ! :P