Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A few windsurfing pics
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:19 pm 
Went out with my D700 and 70-300VR today. There were some really strong winds down on the sea and I figured I'd see if I could grab any shots. I mostly had the camera set to DX crop mode, to gain reach, but still keep the AF performance. I could have used my D80 but obviously it doesn't track as well.

Nothing truly amazing, but hey. One guy got a huge air, and I got this shot. There was no way I could zoom in close to the surfer, and get his kite in the air as well, but because someone else's kite is in the frame, it kinda works.

The lone girl on the beach :thumb:

More air;

and one random shot;

It was tough shooting into the sun, dynamic range was pretty much gone, you either exposed for the surfer or the sea. Still, managed to pp these to get decent enough results. The sea was also blowing a very fine mist onto the lens. Every so often things would look a bit mirky, i.e as if the lens was really soft, and I had to give the lens filter a wipe. I stupidly forgot the hood at home (had actually gone out to shoot something else, and stopped to shoot this in the end).

Anyway, hope you liked em :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 pm 

Thanks Gregory - you've given me some inspiration for this weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 am 
i quite like the last one, i can imagine what a tough shooting situation that is.

its a nice set overall, well done