Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:05 pm 

ok this is my new assignment, our school is playing basketball verus another one in our town and if we win this we go to the finals!

SO, i'm really looking for any tips and everything you wanna share, i'm going to list what equipment i'll bring with me too. i have the opportunity to run around the whole stadium freely mid-game because i was appointed to be the "school" photographer on monday.

this is going to be held at another school with a bit bigger stadium but i'm worried because the lights tend to be a bit dim in schools... that's why i'm taking the 50mm 1.8 just in case..

my teacher said we're gonna make a group shot of the players before the game on the field so i was thinking maybe under the basket? i'll bring the 18-200mm sigma with me so that shouldn't be a problem. i'm thinking of using fill flash to enchance the lightning on their faces, any tips on how to do this? i'll bring my vivitar 285hv.

she also wants one or two action shots in-game, so i'm counting on my sigma 70-300 but i'm again i'm worried about the lights.. i could borrow the 70-200 2.8 sigma from my step dad but i'd just be worried about breaking it or scratching it..

so, i'm looking for tips on camera angle, fill flash and action basketball shots.

i hope to get a lot of responses!!

Anel.

Journey of light - my blog!
www.anelfoto.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:11 am 

Not really my strong suit, but since no one else has chimed in yet...

I think you'll find the 50mm too short for anything other than shots of a player driving the lane (assuming you'll be shooting from the middle of the baseline).

I also think you'll find the Sigma 70-300 f4.0-5.6 too slow for indoor basketball action. Frankly, there's a reason pro sports shooters pay as much as they do for the glass they use.

That said, to try to make do for a school paper, I would set the ISO as high as I'm comfortable with, aperture wide open (basically "shutter priority"), and shutter somewhere between 1/125 and 1/250.

Actually, you might try shooting the 1st half @ ISO800, 1/160 and the 2nd half @ ISO400, 1/200 or something like that.

Oh, and shoot RAW so you can bump up the exposure in post.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 am 

Anel, usually school gym lighting are awful. So anything slower than f/2.8 will not cut it.

Based on my experience, if you sit down under the basket, 50mm is good enough.

If the light is terrible, you can use flash (if permitted) but use the flash off the camera (with lightstand and wireless trigger preferable to cable).

The same with group photo, use flash off camera to create dimension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm 

well thanks for the comments even though the game was yesterday hehe. it was a success, i had my vivitar set up about 3 meters away from the basket and i just ran around the court shooting.. i got away with my sigma 70-300 with ISO 800 and 1/200 with great lighting too! here's 2 pics...

Journey of light - my blog!
www.anelfoto.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 pm 

nice glad u've made it