Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:52 am 

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me with a project im doing, ive taken some action shots for an advert im creating, and i want to reproduce the effect of motion blur that the colour subjects in the left of this photo seem to have. Can anyone tell me if this can be done with photoshop elements 7, or direct me to some sort of tutorial showing me how to do it.
Im assuming its done with some sort of blur tool, but for the life of my i cant figure out how to do it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:07 pm 

Try duplicating the layer and using motion blur or wind filters...that's the best I can think of :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 pm 

Interesting way of advertising.

I've just had a go at replicating this - took me 10minutes to do (bearing in mind I've 7 years+ of Photoshop Experience)

Citruspers was on the right track, however like the example you posted I suggest that you cut out the main image either by mask or using the eraser to erase the background then duplicate that layer. On the layer at the bottom of the image (so in reality, the layer you did the cut out on) you need to apply a motion blur filter to it. This is done by going to Filter>Blur>Motion blur. I set mine to 0 degrees and about 100 pixels.

When you do that you'll notice that blur occurs on both sides of the image. To sort this simply move the layer with the blur applied as many pixels as needed to one direction in order to have one clean edge and one blurred edge. My attempt is as below:

My blur is quite strong, of course it's down to your taste and what you're after, but if you wanted the blur to be less subtle then all you have to do is reduce the opacity of the blurred layer to say around 50%

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:18 am 

Hi, been away for a week, so havent checked the forums, thanks for the replys guys, ill give it a go and see how i do.