Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:46 pm 
Hey guys,

Went to the rugby last night and took these shots.

I know they're really noisy but i was really struggling to get the right settings in the low light :oops:

Anyway if anyone has any advice as to how to improve my technique when shooting in low light or any tips on post processing then i'd be more thn happy to hear them !!!

Cheers
Dunc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 pm 
Unforunately there's a lot of noise but they are nice pictures, specially the third. Did you try to remove a bit of noise with any post-processing software?
I had the same problem with the noise when I went to a concert... If you don't want blurred pictures I think you only can raise ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 pm 
Hi Melges

Yeah i've run them through photoshop's noise reduction filter but it didn't seem to make that much difference. Having said that i'm not really sure what settings i should have set it to.

The shots were taken with an iso off 800/ 1600 as i was trying to keep the shutter speed up.
If i get chance i'll post the originals as they are just very very dark and under exposed and to get that image i've had to play around with the levels alot.

Would this have also made the noise worse ?

I guess next time i should shoot in raw as well as this may help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 pm 

A faster lens would definitely help with the noise, but you got a great result with what you have! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:09 pm 
Hi Citruspers,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Saving for a faster lense as we speak !!! Although the girlfriend has designs on a ring first :( lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:05 pm 
I'm in the same boat as you, wanting a lens that performs better in lower light but can still stop the action. We're both going to have dents in our wallets I fear! Nice shots, although not the most flattering of Marcel ;) At least I get to take pics of the Cherry and Whites so a bit brighter on the shirt at least (certainly not with the skills on the pitch this year though!).

edit: Pics from last weekend that I took are in this thread. I was up to ISO3200 to get the shutter speed up! http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19431