Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:32 pm 
Would you guys recommend a UV filter for shooting youth sports? I usually take pics during games that happen mid day. Football and baseball mostly. I have a 70-300mm Canon lens on an XSi camera. Also when using autofocus in AI Servo mode would you use the 9 point autofocus or just one point such as the center? I find both have their good and bad qualities. I generally use Tv mode at 1/640-1/800 and auto ISO and set the white balance to sunny or cloudy. Thanks for any suggestions. Im trying to fine tune my shots to get the best pics I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 pm 
UV filters really don't do much for digital... and unless you actually spend good money on one it might even degrade the quality of your pictures by giving them less contrast and less sharpness. the only benefit to a UV filter is it protects your front element.

I too photograph youth sports (mostly football) mid day, see my site:

http://www.blitzpix.net

I shoot with my 40D and 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS, usually i shoot on AI servo and i only use the center focus point. In fact no mater what kind of shooting i do i use only the center point. But i usually shoot Av mode at f/2.8 just to knock out the back ground which can be distracting in some cases. I usually shoot ISO 100 to keep noise down unless i need faster shutter speeds.

You should post some pics, I'd be happy to give you my opinion on them and I'm sure other members would as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 pm 
Thanks Tomis. I am finding out that you have to take a lot of pics to get a handful of good ones. Here are a few pics for you to check out...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7984987@N0 ... 8186/show/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 am 
I agree with Tomis. I shoot semi-professional football as well as some training camp (professional) football when I get the chance. A uv filter only protects from dings/scratches on the lense. Furthermore if its not kept clean at all times can produce poor image results. Buy the fastest lense you can afford, it will make a huge difference. I generally shoot in AV mode with iso 100 to 200 and center focus. Most of my images are too big to post in the forum and I dont like to resize them down to post(takes too much time). I do have some on my facebook page that I can share to give you an idea. I'm no professional by any means but photographing sports is one of my favorite hobbies. The second picture was taken at a night game at a high school football field so light is not very good. Having a f2.8 lense really helps in these situations. Also try to shoot from the endzones or corner endzones if you can you will get more faces in your shots and action coming right at you. hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 pm 
I could see the importance of having a 2.8 lens the first time i was photographing a baseball game and the sun started to go down. That 2nd picture is amazing for the low lighting conditions. I hope to buy a 70-200 2.8 and have a new camera for next years seasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 am 

Tomis Said,

"UV filters really don't do much for digital"

The camera shop advice when I bought my camera was to put filters on the lens. I bought a Hoya UV filter for each lens which sounded good in protecting the lens.

After reqading Tomis's comment I am confused, will a lens take a better quality shot with or with out a filter

Appreciate comments.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:09 am 

It's not about the quality, it's about the protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am 
Filters do serve a purpose depending on what pictures you are taking and how you want to affect your pics. I do use a UV filter when im walking around taking non sports pictures and when storing the lens. I think they are saying that if its a bad filter or not clean it can degrade the pics. Im new to this so I hope other people will reply 4xxxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm 
In my personal opinion a UV filter is just an extra protection element added to the lens. If you have a very nice lens with high quality glass in it would you want to put a $20 UV filter on it? UV filter doesnt serve much purspose as other filters do for effects on the image.... example color filters or polarized filters. Its just another extension of the camera you have to keep clean. If your using it for protection, and you scratch the UV filter and didnt realize it you may get home later to find that your images have been compromised. I shoot with a lens hood to protect my lens from damage and I store it in my camera bag with the hood reversed and lens cap attached. I shoot mostly sports so a UV filter serves no purposes. However if you would like to buy one to put on the front of your lens to protect it that is fine I would just recommend removing it when you are prepared to take your pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 am 

Thanks for the info, I'll take your advice.

Cheers