Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Which is better (yet cheap) for sports?
Canon with USM lenses 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Nikon with AF-S lenses 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Other combos (please post) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: NEED! UPGRADE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:09 pm 
I currently own a Nikon D50 and I found out that I am limited to the 2.5 fps cont. shooting.

I need a upgrade for this coming holiday basketball game in a few months. I was think of a Canon 30D (I never thought I'd say it) but since the high price tags of Nikons I am considering to switch to Canon.

I need some advice before I shell out large amounts of money on this equipment. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:10 pm 

What lenses do you already own?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

I think either system would be good enough for most people, but it is indicative when you look at the sidelines of sporting events that most pros shoot with Canon equipment. But like I say, unless you're making a living from it, I think either system would be quick enough.

Different lenses in the ranges focus at different speeds though, so don't assume just having USM or AF-S means you've got the best there is. There are still some models which are quicker than others...

Post subject: Re: NEED! UPGRADE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:41 pm 

fearless leader wrote:
...I need a upgrade for this coming holiday basketball game in a few months. I was think of a Canon 30D (I never thought I'd say it) but since the high price tags of Nikons I am considering to switch to Canon.

I need some advice before I shell out large amounts of money on this equipment. Thanks. :)

If this is just for one game (initially) have you considered hiring? Obviously I am assuming you have a local store which can offer this service. Not a solution if you have to do it too often but it might be a way of test driving a Nikon with your current lenses or the Canon system.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:28 pm 

Btw. the Nikon VR 70-300mm is a nice long lens for sports (Gordon's review is here).
Just keep in mind that you have to crank up your ISO a bit to come to short exposure times. And/or use a strong flash with zoom-reflector!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:44 pm 
Thanks everyone,

I am shooting these events not only once, but for maybe about 12-18 months (I was asked to photograph volleyball, basketball, football, and soccer) so what I need is a camera with sufficent resolution and fast cont. shooting. Also keep in mind that I am still in high school so I don't have the money to afford (more) expensive equipment.

I understand Canon is widely used for sports, and I think a upgrade to a 30D or 40D is plenty for what I need.

Thanks again! :D
b.t.w. I own a few budget kit lenses for Nikon so it's easy for me to switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:45 pm 
which now leads me to my next question.... 30D or 40D? and what are some good starting lenses?

Thanks for the help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

To compare the features of the 30D and 40D, check our 40D verdict here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... dict.shtml

I'd go for the 40D if you can afford it, but the 30D could already do everything you want.

As for lenses, see this article for some good general purpose Canon options:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

If you're shooting sports though, you'll also want a longer lens. A 70-300mm would seem a natural choice, but the 70-200mm f4L is quicker and better quality...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:20 pm 
I have to say that that the Canon's bodies are faster, but I don't like the lens choices, the 24-105L is to pricey, is there any good alternatives? say a 28-100ish that not "L"

Thanks for the help! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

fearless leader wrote:
... is there any good alternatives? say a 28-100ish that not "L"

The 30D is sold with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS by some stores over the border in Canada (C$1310 for the lot). That lens gives you a 35mm equivalent zoom of 216mm and features Image Stabilisation.

The 28-135mm is sold as the kit lens with the 40D in the States. You can read the PhotoZone review here and the SLRGear review here. Price and reviews indicate it is better quality than your average kit lens and may be just what you need.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 pm 
Nice! Thanks! for my last question, how do I support this site, since I'm about to buy pretty soon.

Thanks for the help! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Fearless Leader, thanks for your offer of support!

There's two main ways:

1: Price checking using the pricegrabber boxes you can find on all our reviews.

2: When you're ready to buy, consider buying through one of our affiliate stores.

Of course we completely understand there could be cheaper or alternatiave stores you prefer to shop at, but if you were thinking of using one of the ones on our affiliate list anyway, then do please click through to them via our page first. The prices are the same, but they give us a small commission.

And remember this works for anything you buy during that session, so it doesn't have to be a camera. So if you're ordering books, CDs or DVDs from, say, Amazon, do consider clicking through to them via our link!

Another great way to support the site is to spread the word! Please tell your friends and colleagues about Cameralabs, and if an article or review we've written is relevent to a thread in another forum (and if they allow links to other sites), then do consider mentioning us. It all helps.

Thanks!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:24 pm 
Hi Gordon, I always buy from Amazon, and I always recommend this site to all of my friends and family, I am about to buy within the next 6-8 months, I'll might even buy some gifts for my relatives, oh and thanks for reminding me that books, CDs, and everything counts (I kinda forgot) :oops:

Thanks again for all the great help everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Fearless Leader, sounds good! So if you're buying through Amazon, all you need to do is click through to their site from the link on our affiliate page and it's all sorted - for that shopping session anyway. If you close the window or shop again another day, you need to click through via our link again.

As always, it's much appreciated and helps keep us running!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:14 am 
UPDATE: The mighty mom says no to Canon, because she doesn't want to buy more lenses, which now it's going to cost me $1,600ish on a Nikon D200. :lol:

P.S. Hey Gordon, if I buy more stuff money-wise, do you get a bigger commisson?