Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Football (Soccer)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:56 am 

I went to the local parks football fields to finally try my hand at some sports shots and was lucky to find a league skirmish getting ready to start. After asking both teams if they minded if I took pictures (they said sure) I set up.

I was using my Quantaray 70-300mm lens for all shots, manual focus was rough but I got good practice. Sadly budget lens = budget quality pictures :? and on top of that for the 1st half I was setup facing the sun and the camera seemed to have a rough time with that and even though I had the lens hood on you will see a good amount of lens flare. It got better in the 2nd half when I moved to the opposite side of the field and set up with the sun at my back.

Anyhow equipment was Nikon D40 set to the "sport" preset, Quantaray 70-300mm manual focus lens, lens hood, mono pod (camera would have gotten hard to hold at the ready if not for the pod) and a bottle of water (to drink) :wink: I did all my post processing with Google's Picasa and out of the 372 pictures I took I uploaded just over 100. I used Picasa because it was easier. You may also notice alot of sharpening and this is mainly because as I said before I was using manual focus and well being new it was very hard to zoom and focus fast enough to capture the action however I think I did ok. So tell me what you think.

This will take you to the set.

and here are some teasers.

***NOTE PICTURES REMOVED FROM FLICKR***

Last edited by Brate on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:29 am 
Site Admin

Nice shots Brate, especially considering they were manual focus. I know that's not easy, although sometimes it can actually work out better than an AF system that's either too slow or getting confused all the time.