Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skating Advice
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:47 am 

Hi All,

Been out the past couple of nights with my mate who likes to skateboard. He's asked me if I wanted to tag along to build up my skills in photography, and of course jumped at the opportunity.

Below are 4 of my better shots of the two nights. I took about 100 shots in all, but some were way to blurry and some, I felt, had the wrong composition.

Please let me know what you think to the photos and where I could improve. It's times like these that I wish I had a fisheye lens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm 

Few things disturb me.
1. the signature (try something smaller and more modest, that will not draw the audition's attention).
2. in the 2nd photo the composition is good but you cut his foot and skateboard... What a pity
3. 3rd photo could be nicer if you used the rule of thirds IMHO
4. 4 is good but try using lower angles, skateboarding looks better from low and wide angles.
5. If you get blurry images there is no other solution from setting up higher ISO except using a speedlight (or even two).
6. If you want to get into this type of photography get a wide and fast lens!

Nice photos none the less, my favorite is the 4th.

Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 + Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 + Industar 50mm f/3.5 (M39 Screw mount)
Light: two Nikon SB-28's
Backpack: Kata DR467
Shoplist: Nothing for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 pm 

artlove wrote:
Few things disturb me.
1. the signature (try something smaller and more modest, that will not draw the audition's attention).
2. in the 2nd photo the composition is good but you cut his foot and skateboard... What a pity
3. 3rd photo could be nicer if you used the rule of thirds IMHO
4. 4 is good but try using lower angles, skateboarding looks better from low and wide angles.
5. If you get blurry images there is no other solution from setting up higher ISO except using a speedlight (or even two).
6. If you want to get into this type of photography get a wide and fast lens!

Nice photos none the less, my favorite is the 4th.

Thanks for the comments.

I've altered my signiture now (was actually on things to do today) The star on it is from my freelance, and thought it may fit onto the images. However, I'm glad someone else has brought it to my attention.

Yeah, the 2nd photo isn't a crop, it's how it came from the camera. Bit gutted really, but I'm glad it wasnt the whole of the foot etc. Thought I could get away with it lol.

I've altered the third image now, dunno why I wasn't thinking rule of thirds at the time of cropping the image down..

Yeah, towards the end of the shoot on the first day (which was really poor lighting) I had the ISO bumped upto 800 and 1600. Got a fair bit of noise though which was to be expected. Then rain stopped play! Typical Manchester Weather.

In number 4, that was the lowest I could go to take the shot whilst being able to see what I was shooting. My camera doesn't have live view, nor do I have an angular piece to view through lol.

Not sure I want to take a lot of skating pictures, not to the extent that some people do, but I'm looking into getting a 50mm prime sometime soon. I know it's not wide, but for times I need wide, think I'll stick to my 18-70mm kit lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

You don't need live view or angular piece to shoot from low angle, just lay on the floor (even if it makes you looks silly).

Glass: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 + Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 + Industar 50mm f/3.5 (M39 Screw mount)
Light: two Nikon SB-28's
Backpack: Kata DR467
Shoplist: Nothing for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:40 am 

Got a couple more to the collection. Feel as though I'm slowly getting the feel for the shots now. These were from last night in the fading light and only onboard flash used. I'm looking into getting an external flash unit very soon!!

I know they're all black and white, but the originals - personally I didn't think the colours were vivid enough to warrent them staying full colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:05 am 

Okay, about the blurriness: bump your ISO as high as you are comfortable with! I shot at ISO 1600 on an extremely sunny day to get 1/3200 shutter speeds, to freeze everything.

Secondly, try making your watermarks monochrome. The yellow is very distracting, especially in BW shots :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 pm 

Citruspers wrote:
Okay, about the blurriness: bump your ISO as high as you are comfortable with! I shot at ISO 1600 on an extremely sunny day to get 1/3200 shutter speeds, to freeze everything.

Secondly, try making your watermarks monochrome. The yellow is very distracting, especially in BW shots :)

Yeah, I had ISO400 on this, and thought that was high enough! Will try bumping higher, but was a bit warey of noise creeping into the image.

As for the watermark, the new one is monochrome now and has been for a few weeks now lol