Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Action
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 pm 
I need help Im trying to take a picture of a steam train thats coming towards me and to the right and under the bridge Im standing on,Trouble is all my shots have a shallow depht of field and only part of the train is in focus.Im using a Canon 400d in "P"mode with a Sigma 70mm-300mm 4-5.6 DG lens and ISO at 200.Any help please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:30 pm 
To get more depth of field you will want a smaller f numer. Like 13 and up. You may have to raise the ISO to get the picture bright enough and not just a big blur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 am 
This is the picture with the front out of focus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:36 am 
Nice train Zed!!!

I agree with Nikon, you will need a larger F number (and hence smaller aperture) as well as setting the focusing mode to continuous. Once you've selected a higher F number check that the shutter speed is short enough (if you want to freeze the train in its tracks) to capture enough light so that the action is frozen. Also to ensure you are focusing on the right place use either manually focus or select an auto focus point (probably the middle one or right one) rather then let the camera decide

you could also capture this shot as being blury with only the front end in focus, or you could pan with the train to get the train in focus and the background blury.

I love these old steam trains (though I am not a trainspotter), we don't have enough of them in Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 am 
just throwing this out there...

im my opinion, it doesn't look like it is out of focus, it looks more like camera shake or motion blur.

what shutter speed were you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 am 
Zed One wrote:
This is the picture with the front out of focus

Check out my fotopic site to see how train pics should come out, but as a general rule these are my favorite settings...

ISO 200 is ok most of the time but bump up as needed.
AV Apeture Priority @f/6.3 and the camera will set the shutter speed.
Tv Shutter Priority around 640-800 if you want to freeze the train in it's tracks and the camera will set the apeture
Never use Manual for moving trains you will not have time to faff about getting it right and the train will have gone.
P mode is more or less automatic and I have found in the past I got pictures like yours.
Set your AF focal point to centre only and focus on the front third of the engine and you should find that all of the engine and most of the carriages will be in focus.
The Sigma lens you used does it have any IS, because this helps alot if you cannot hold the camera and lens steady.
PM me if you need any more help.
Here is the link to my fotopic site http://roy-matthews.fotopic.net/
And a friend of mine http://tony4170.fotopic.net/
And a couple of youngsters I know, one is also a member of this forum http://jsphotography.swlines.co.uk/index.php
Here are a couple of examples

And a couple of Modern Image..

Last edited by Defiance on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 am 

A bright sunny day will be to your advantage also.
Defiance definately has you...."on the right track" :wink: ...lol

Jake, doesn't look too bad around the engineer...
Think it may have just been a gloomy day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 am 
kpr wrote:
A bright sunny day will be to your advantage also.

It does help, but I have taken photos in real gloom, just have to up the ISO :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm 
hey defiance, the train in that 2nd pic is great! wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 pm 
Thank you for your input I will put it into practice (weather permitting)this Sat as GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 no 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe is due in my area.I will be using my other lens the 24-70mm which is a f2.8 with it zoomed out to 24mm.
Roy been on your site and you have some very nice pictures it shows you have been doing this for a while.My main objective is to get a good picture of one of my favorite trains ie:- A4 Class Pacific 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley which is going from Edinburgh-Dundee on the 17th May(not my area)
The above picture has been in the shop as most of the white is a little burnt out.
jake.rohan I was using 1/50th at f4 as I said before all of this was set by the camara in "p"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 pm 
Here you go Zed a picture of "Gresley" taken down here in Berkshire at Padworth which is on the "Berks and Hants"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:27 am 
Thanks to you all for your advice and I put it in to practice and here is the result

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:16 pm 

Well done... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Yes, well done.... seems we have a very fast learner here. :lol: