Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:56 am 
So this tuesday I will be taking picture of my brothers volleyball game. Im looking for some tips. I'm thinking that using my 60mm will be beneficial for the large apperture which will enable me to use higher shutter speed with hopefully lower ISO. So did I pretty much nail it? Also what mode would you shoot in? Apperture priority to make sure the lense stays at f/2.8? Or shutter priority to make sure it catches the action?

Pictures will be posted tuesday night after the game.

Wish me luck

Last edited by Nikon Kyle on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 pm 
No tips? :( Guess I'll just wing it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 am 
MANUAL or M is the best, meter the light and lock it. <-- this work if the light is constant.

keep the shutter around 1/400 or higher and use ISO up to 1600 if needed.

goodluck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 am 

I have taken plenty of indoor volleyball games and I use Manual. I do not let my shutter speed be slower the 1/300. My aperture on my 55-200mm seems to work if I use 1600 ISO. However I don't have any other auto focusing lens. I have a 50mm which lets in the PERFECT amount of light, but the focusing is nearly impossible. Get to the gym early and shoot warm-ups to get your right shutter, aperture, and ISO down so that your not scrambling to figure it out and loosing valuable shooting time. OH! I almost forgot... DON'T FORGET TO MOVE AROUND!!!!!! I made the mistake one game of staying in one spot and only seemed to like about 3 out of 800+ shots taken.

I set up my camera for my mother to take pictures of me playing and she came up with these....

P.S. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see!

What position does your brother play?

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:40 am 
Thanks. Will deffinitely try to get warm ups. Might be the only time he will get to play as he currently plays the bench most of the time. But he plays mostly middle with a little outside here and there. I also played the last 6 years but not any more. I will try to move around as much as I can without getting in the way or having the refs yell at me. Will post up the keepers. Hopefully more than I need :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 pm 

I can't wait to see the shots you take... Just thought I'd bump it up to the top!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:47 am 
So I noticed something. My D60 is not performing the 3 frames per second it says. Most likely due to the stock SD card in it.

These first 5 were shot as fast as it could take. Does it look like 3fps?

1Image
2.Image
3.Image
4.Image
5.Image
3fps? I think not

6.Image
7.Image
Got so lucky with that last one.

C&C always welcome. Good news. Another game on thursday. Hope for some more action as I have enough of him serving.

Pictures are also a little noisey when viewed full screen. Anyone know of a decent noise fixer program for free preferably?

Thank you,
Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:16 am 
nice pics kyle, since i had the same problem try turning d-lighting off and just apply it later if needed. this slows down your camera a lot. and so does the autofocus at other times.
its all in the manual.

JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm 
I believe D lighting was off. So it must be the autofocus. I will have to try manual on thursday and see if that improves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:55 pm 

Good shots! I like the last one best! Do you have any of them hitting or blocking?

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm 
good pics. as you said, you got lucky on the last one and it is a great capture. just the right balance between motion blur and focus. i hate things out of focus. :lol: :lol: