Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 pm 
Today i got back from the 1st round of the Australian V8 supercars on Adelaide Street Circuit. This is the premier racing category in Australia. I've attended this race religiously every year since before i could remember.

EDIT: I'll be going again tomorrow, so any advice, comments, criticism or ideas would be appreciated

Every car shot had be through wire safety barriers, so you will see a lot of faded cross patterns across some of the images.

1)Image

2)Image
Seen better days?

3)Image
the gaps between the posts was barely big enough to fit the car in, so a lot of my panning shots came out like this.

GT Class
4)Image

5)Image

these little things are called the "Aussie racing cars". they are effectively large go karts with high capacity motorbike engines, bigger wheels, and a roll cage. they are almost as fast as the popper v8 supercars. the racing is always a lot closer, and more entertaining as well.
6)Image

7)Image

8)Image

9)Image

10)Image
"oops"

Track side, there was a small tent filled with some of the most exotic cars around

11)Image
Aston Martin DBS. prettiest car ever?

12)Image

13)Image
Nissan GTR

14)Image
I'm fairly sure this guy works at the race... so he should probably be doing more than taking a photo of it with his phone.

Last edited by jake.rohan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:57 pm 
Wow! You got some REAL good pictures there!!! Congratulations!!
I loved the panings! Too bad the fences were in front of you :(
The Lambo and the Viper are my favorites... of course with the DBS.. and I agree: prettiest car EVER! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:18 pm 

Jack, Those are some great shots. Good work :)

Just wondering if your going to the F1 race next week in Melbourne?
Not sure how far it is from where you live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:22 pm 
I would looooove to, BUT, money is an issue.

its about an 8 hour drive, and probably a couple of hundred dollars entry. im a uni student, so money is always tight.

I'll be cheering from the living room.

by the way, i think i saw Jensen button today, but i didn't have the camera out in time to get a shot to confirm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:28 pm 
jake.rohan wrote:
I'll be cheering from the living room.

Take some shots of your TV, so :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:34 pm 
Nice Sets of Pics Jake! but bit spoilt by the fence but still you have nice shot! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 am 
I didn't take many shots on Sunday, i was concentrating too hard on the racing. I got some nice shots of the F18 that did a couple of low fly bys. and one atmosphere shot of the stand opposite mine.

^just to give you an idea of how low he was flying. this was taken at 300mm, BUT hasn't been cropped one bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am 

Jake, nicely done. It looks as if their just hovering.
Must have been tough to get, were these hand held or with a tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 am 
they were all hand held. he just wasn't going very fast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:42 am 

Great shots Jake...well done!

Post subject: Aussie F-18's
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:56 pm 
Jake,
I had the wonderful opportunity to fly close by some of your Aussie F-18's while deployed to Diego Garcia back in 2001-2002.....

Threw back some beers with your buddies too over New Year's that trip: what a memorable deployment! Great bunch of fellas. They suckered me into eating the veggemite..... I don't know how they kept it down.

Yes, I can fully understand about your low-flying comment..... They are very skilled aviators and were so much fun when we were "playing" with them there..... Great times and awesome photos!

vr Geo

Post subject: Re: Aussie F-18's
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:56 pm 
Geo wrote:
Jake,
They suckered me into eating the veggemite..... I don't know how they kept it down.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

thats a common Australian trick... Vegemite is designed to be spread EXTREMELY lightly on toast (because it is so freaking strong), so when we give it to Internationals, we lather it on!!!

if this is what they did to you... don't worry about it, not even an australian could hold it down.

I once saw someone try to eat a table spoon of Vegemite... that was funny!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:04 am 
I don't recall how much was on the toast, but we did have a vegemite eating contest and let's say I lost.....

The winner won a t-shirt, compliments of Diego Garcia MWR (and plenty of beers from everyone who gambled on the contest).

I compare it to the Gallon Milk challenge..... It's almost imposible!

Have you read the label's ingredients? Man.....