Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm 
Hello all,

I'm a Canon 40D user with 2 lenses, a 10-22mm and a 24-105mm. A friend of mine has asked if I want to come and take some pictures while he took his bike for a spin around a track nearby and wanting to learn a bit more about my camera I took him up on his offer. Has anyone got any tips for what shooting mode, shutter speed and iso setting I should use?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:18 pm 

Unless ur doing panning shots, then i would go for a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec or even faster. How much the ISO and aperture has to be then, depends on the available light.

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm 
Noceo wrote:
Unless ur doing panning shots, then i would go for a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec or even faster. How much the ISO and aperture has to be then, depends on the available light.

Ok will do, many thanks, fast shutter speed then for the action. I take it it if I lower that I'll get some pan/blur shots?

Will post back the results :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:52 pm 
I think that you'd be fine with 1/500s. Even 1/250s could work out well. I think you should try those shots out and then settle for a shutter speed you're comfortable with. Keep in mind that going to 1/1000s will usually require some really high ISO speeds, unless you have a really bright day and a fast lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 pm 
pgtips wrote:
I think that you'd be fine with 1/500s. Even 1/250s could work out well. I think you should try those shots out and then settle for a shutter speed you're comfortable with. Keep in mind that going to 1/1000s will usually require some really high ISO speeds, unless you have a really bright day and a fast lens.

Okidoke will do, I've never really tested the upper limits of the 24-105L yet, so far it seems a great lens so will be interessting to see how it performs. I am planning on shooting in the early afternoon like 2-3ish so there should be plenty (hopefully not too much) light.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:22 pm 
Just becareful you don't get too close to the action. I think you'll find that 105mm isn't going to be enough to cover sporting events like this. Still, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 pm 
pgtips wrote:
Just becareful you don't get too close to the action. I think you'll find that 105mm isn't going to be enough to cover sporting events like this. Still, I'm sure you'll have fun :)

Yep that certainly will be a factor, obviously getting too close to flying motorbikes is never a good idea, but in casy I'm sure with a bit of improvisation I'm sure it'll be alright.

Thanks for your input guys!