Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:06 am 
hey...
I would like to know what the 5 best skateboarding photography dslr cameras,
but i dont want them to cost more them $900 (aud) because i still want to spend some money on a new lens kit.

I would also like to know the best cheap lens kit and flashes for skateboarding photography.

THANKS HEAPS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:02 am 

Hello amamasstealth1, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!
To make things easier for all, here's your budget in EUR, USD and GBP:
900AUD=530EUR=710USD=360GBP.
Is that for the body alone? What could you invest in lens+flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:16 am 
thanks tombomba2
ill remember those budget things in different money types for the future,

And to answer your questions i have a $900 (aud) limit for the body and i would like a basic lens to come with it,

But for the flashes and extra lenses i would like a decent price, a decent lense and a decent flash not the best but not the worst.

And for them the price is pretty flexable because where i work i get a weekly payment of $80 (aud) and the money stacks up pretty fast so i can save to get some good equiptment.

THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:05 pm 

So 900AUD for body plus kit-lens. That gives you quite a choice.
Let me clear one thign up first:
- if you're into fast action shots, image stabilization (IS) is irrelevant but good high-ISO image quality (IQ) and fast lenses (if affordable) is.
- But generally for any other type of photography IS is very important.
Unfortunately there is only one stabilized body+kit-lens set out there for 900AUD (Pentax)! But you can buy a (non stabilized) Nikon- or Canon-body and add a stabilized lens later, if you have more budget. If you buy a (non-stabilized) body from Olympus chances are very restricted to upgrade with an IS-lens. But as I said: IS is not important for action shots.
So here are the best choices for your budget:
- 8MPix Olympus E-500 + 14-45mm 3.5-5.6 (look for sell-out prices!)
- 6MPix Pentax K100D (incl. IS) + DA 18-55mm (around 450EUR)
- 6MPix Nikon D40 + AF-S DX 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G ED II (around 480EUR)
- 8MPix Canon EOS 350D + EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 (around 500EUR)
These are all not the very latest models (that would be the E410/E510, K10D, D40x, 400D) but capable of producing very nice pics. Thye all don't have fast kit lenses, so the distinguishing factor could be their lo-noise/high-ISO behaviour. Of those three bodies tested here at Camera Labs the Nikon D40 certainly is very good at high-ISO. So you can crank up the ISO sensitivity and make good-quality shots at fast shutter-speeds.

For skateboarding photos, the second important thing to decide is whether you can always get close enough to the action or whether you'll need a tele-photo lens.
"Close enough" means two things: You may get away with your kit-lens (there are even some sets with kit lenses going to 75mm or even 135mm) plus you can use a moderate flash.
If you're not close enough, fast lenses are getting increasingly more expensive and you'll need a strong flashgun with zoomable reflector. All things that can cost a lot :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi amamasstealth1, I'd add to what Thomas has said by saying an external flashgun is invaluable for skateboarding (and snowboarding) photography.

It lets you grab action shots under dimmer light and also play around with remote setups where you leave the flash near the action, but stand back with the camera yourself...

So if you're serious about it, do look into getting an external flashgun.

But as Thomas says, if you get yourself a budget DSLR now, you'll have the chance to learn and expand your setup in the future. I always think it's best to not buy everything from day-one anyway because that way you can use the basic kit and work out what bits you really need to upgrade later. You might even find the basic kit is enough for most of your shots...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:06 am 
THANKS HEAPS.....
To the both of you, i cant tell you really know your stuff ill look out for those cameras and i will keep all your tips in mind.

When i buy the camera i will keep you updated and let you know how im doin and how the cameras going.

:D THANK YOU :D