Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:15 am 
Heya gents,

Was using my 17-55 @ 55mm, f/2.8 on my 50D:

could NOT get any cleaner than this, and i think the noise is a little bit insane ...

here's the shot, please (please!) tell me what i could have done to actually capture this moment without using flash (i used 1/200s!)

(yes i could have stood closer and zoomed out, but let's pretend i already did that -- what settings? what tricks?)

((&and anyone that wants to comment on improving composition for a shot with so many unknowns would be welcome to do so! i was strolling by and happened to have my camera out and shooting in around 10s, this was my best...))

thankya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 am 
Hi Fazamonster,

It's always a trade-off of some sort. Perhaps you could have reduced the ISO by one step and doubled the exposure to 1/100sec - but then you would have gotten more motion-blur.

Perhaps, if you had changed the angle so more light would have hit the lens - maybe gotten on your knees so the overhead lights shed more onto the lens, you might have faster exposure or could have reduced the ISO - but at the cost of shadow-details.

Then there is post-processing that may be able to help you with some of the noise - but again perhaps at the expense of sharpness and textures - all depending on how you do it of course.

There is also the option of converting to B&W or some duo-tone scheme which may make some of the noise appear more like grain. That doesn't reduce the noise of course, but it may make it appear less disturbing to the image.

I think the image is quite delightful - even with the noise. There is a cetain grittiness to it and still a lot of detail preserved. Nicely done.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:05 am 
Shoot in portrait orientation. Maximise your light source which is coming from the ceiling down. Include more of the ceiling which will assist the exposure, and then crop some of it out later if it vastly affects your composition (it shouldn't do if it's been intentional).

The noise isn't that bad in any case. What isn't clean is the capture & timing.

I deal with the unknown all too often. It comes with experience, knowing your light sources, your subject, continuously moving around the subject to get various perspectives if you're uncertain of how to capture it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 am 
some addition

shoot on ur knee

careful with composition especially background (in this image it is too distracting.

about the light, i am not sure is this a very dark place? or the metering is off? (sometime because of the some strong light in the scene (possible the ceiling?)
if that the case you need other metering mode, set exposure compensation or zoom closer to the artist.

if the light is very dim, use flash, by this i mean external flash with diffuser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 am 
In defence of FazaMonster, I don't think going for a low viewpoint on a knee would be beneficial. This is a candid that's composed in a way that also captures the faces of those around the performer. All one achieves with a lower viewpoint are completely different perspectives of the spectators/crowd which will alter the capture of facial appearance.

Secondly, it's a bit stupid and counter-intuitive to zoom in. Get as physically close to your subject and maintain as wide a focal length as possible. This allows more light into the lens than having to zoom into a longer & narrower focal length. This must have been something you've picked up with your amateur "photojournalism"?

I still maintain that it might have been a stronger image had it been shot in portrait rather than landscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:26 am 
by shooting on your knees is not that extreme that distort people in the scene, the aim is to help viewer to focus a bit more to the performer, because the performer is low below the eye level.

by zoom in we can select background better, it also help to integrate the performer and the audiences a bit closer because of the compressed look.

I just notice that you already zoom in to the maximum. you might want to get closer to compose and select the background more effectively.

There is also less distortion in tele length. But if you like the wide distorted effect, then you need to zoom out and get ur self really close to the scene.

that is just my opinion and preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:55 am 
This discussion is really helpful.

I will definitely try those tips - if i were on my knee, letting in more light by being lower, that could have helped. I was trying to move but there were people everywhere and i kept getting knocked into.

And lastly, this is a subway station - the worst possible lighting (why do you think we do our muggings there? hahha).

A flash would have been ideal, but i'm still not used to the idea of bothering people with the flash and besides, i don't carry it with me 24/7.

Next time, i'll just be a little pushy and get in closer. And will definitely try shooting portrait and/or from the knee.

Thank you!!!