Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jump!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:50 pm 
So I was shooting in the snow this weekend - first up some Jump pictures :) sorry for the big amount of pictures, actually these is only a "best of best of" out of a "best of" which was out of ~250 pictures in total. I'll add some "regular" Skiing and Snowboarding pictures in a different thread later on.

All pictures were taken with:

Canon EOS 50D
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
f/4.0
some pretty fast shutter speeds
ISO 200
PP: Cropping, contrast & brightness adjustments

Some words about shooting in the snow with this equipment: I was shooting 3 days with a Lowepro Rover AW II on my back, carrying the camera with the 70-200 attached. The only thing I had to worry about a little, is riding my own snowboard pretty carefully so I don't damage the gear in a heavy crash ;) Other than that, I had no problems and felt confident to shoot at all times. The cam & lens even took some splashes of snow, so I was really happy that both pieces were weather sealed and the lens had internal zooming & focusing. I was also happy to see, that the combination handled the moving action absolutely superb, I had about 9/10 pictures in perfect focus with the continuous AF & shooting of the 50D. Admittedly the high contrast scenes of people against the snow or sky were no big challenge anyway ;)

As for the pictures: it was the first time I added some "copyright" stuff - let me hear your thoughts about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 am 
Wow! Those shots are amazingly SHARP!!! great shots! wish we had snow here in the Philippines. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 pm 
alphalpha wrote:
Wow! Those shots are amazingly SHARP!!! great shots! wish we had snow here in the Philippines. :)

So as here in Brunei Too :wink:

Great shot Nostrum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm 
Mmm, those shots make me want to get that lens even more now... Great shots, just like the rest of your stuff. I really enjoyed looking at your gallery the other day.

The copyright marks are fine, as long as they're somewhere off in the corner, but I personally prefer either initials or something nice & short. You can try them as alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 pm 
Awesome shots!! very inspiring!
the last one is my favourite... The arm streched out looks really nice!

Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:53 am 
Oh, and I also wanted to ask whether you had IS on when you were taking these or not and whether you had some sort of a tripod/monopod with you... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 am 
thanks guys!

I'll try the initials as signature to be able to hide them a little better

and yes, I had IS on, no idea why really though. I think I even had it on "mode 1" = normal mode quite some time untill I realised that I was actually panning all the time, so I switched to "mode 2"... However there is no difference since the shutter speed was as high as 1/1500-1/3000s or something anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am 
Incredible clean shots & rich in details. :) Excellent work.
The 1st one seems a bit "burned" from the intense light,but it's still very ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:47 am 

Great shots.

I played with my signatures and sometimes changing the contrast/colour/opacity so it doesn't jump out at you makes a huge differance :wink: