Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: More basketball pictures
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:58 pm 
I've tried to take into account what you have said to me in my other thread regarding different angles. I also tried shooting at 1.8 pretty much all the time. First I used a shutter speed of 1/500 but at the end, I wanted pictures that would represent speed more, so i used 1/200 and1/250 with second curtain shutter sync on the flash (which they don't mind at all :) )

Image (You can't see it here, but #2 came out REALLY sharp :) )

No post processing are done, only cropping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 pm 
What lens were you using? I'd have expected an aperture of f1.8 to produce much more blurred backgrounds. The background seems really sharp in some of the photos, like 4 and 6.

Having said that, sports is not my thing but I would have thought your photos would have benefitted if you bumped up the saturation a little. They look rather dull colour wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:05 pm 
I am using the 50mm 1.8 and the backgruond is sharp in those two because the pictures are cropped due to the subject being further away from me.

And while the pictures may have looked better with more saturation, this is representing reality more. And I like not havig done any PP ;) I may bump up the saturation in picturestyle some for next time.

Anyone else have any C&C?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:22 am 
are you by any chance using the 580 speedlite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:49 am 
Yes I was. I'ts a good flash :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 am 

Only thing I'd do to these is white balance. Then if they needed some sharpening / saturation I'd do that. Really good quality coming straight out of the camera though. Nice work.

I think it looks cleaner with white balance:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 am 
nice nice i own a 430 speedlite...money well spent haha my budget isnt so great but it does the job...i take photos for my schools basketball teams...and what i usually do to get a nicely lit shot and get a nicely lit backround without it darkening to much is to go to:

M and set the shutter speed to whatever the lightmetering says that keeps the light equal and that its not to bright and not to dim (shutter speed varies on where you place yourself in the gym)

for the flash...i use about 1/8+2/3 or somewhere in the region and i think i deploy the built in diffuser to the light can shine but is not to concentrated on the whites of the uniforms (i place myself under the backboard somewhat to out side of it so i can get the shots of the players shooting lay ups and sometimes 3 pointers)

the power on your flash is greater than mine and has alot more gadgets and nick nacks then mine but here is one of the photos i took with those settings

OH! and a white balance of florescent lighting

i got shots like this

and i dont use photoshop or any software that does anything that keeps the photo from being original...my computer isnt strong enough to run them haha kinda sad =]