Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 pm 
So I thought I'd post some basketballpictures I took yesterday with the 50mm 1.8 I got the same day for this application as well as porttraits. I think that almost all of my shots were at f/2.2 as I found out that it's considerably less soft there than at 1.8.

5. With flash:

The only post processing done is some cropping on the first one, and all of them were brightened a bit in photoshop. ISO were 500 for all of them I think. Shutterspeeds from 1/200 to 1/400 if I'm not mistaken. I think all were done with AF servo.

C%C are welcome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm 

I like them but some seem a bit OoF... Seems like the DoF was to small for this. I like them though. Looks like you had a lot of fun! I would only suggest one more thing, (that's if you are aloud) move around... All the shots are from the same angle. When I took shots of my brothers volleyball team all my shots were from only 2 angles. Try to move around if you can. If not try getting really low or really high angles to give a sense of height on there jumps.

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm 
Thanks man I will try to get some different angles next time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm 
Those seem a little bit out of focus to me too..
Did they allow you to use flash inside? Curious.. down here if you use flash people will ask you to stop. It may affect the players or something..

Anyway... Did you shoot those on AV mode? If not, did you use High Speed Sync?
I ask that because the images seem a bit dark for me. I would go for the 1.8 aperture hands down. More light (even being softer) would probably freeze the movements better IMO.

Which focusing point did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm 
I am quite active in shooting basketball this past 3 months and here are some tips for you:

The important one will be:
1. shutter speed at least 1/500. If the kids move very fast, 1/640 will be needed.
2. Don't worry about the iso, crank it up to 800, 1200, or even 1600 to get desirable shutter speed.
3. Be careful with setting aperture below f/2.8, because you need very fast and accurate focus/tracking.
4. face, face, face.. get the face, expressions are priceless.
5. i think you don't have a good angle there (echoing other members) with 50mm, if you sit near to the center under the basket will have better angle, try various positions, sit, stand, etc.
6. Consider flash setup if permitted, but not mounted in ur camera, instead off camera, mounted in a couple lightstand.

From your setting 1/200 and 1/400 seems like it is not out of focus but more of motion blur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:45 pm 
I hope you don't mind my asking, but is #3 simply very good (always making the shots?) OR do you just fancy her? :D

ED. - OOPS, nevermind! All those girls with the white jerseys look the same from the side/back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:13 am 
FazaMonster wrote:
I hope you don't mind my asking, but is #3 simply very good (always making the shots?) OR do you just fancy her? :D

ED. - OOPS, nevermind! All those girls with the white jerseys look the same from the side/back!

Funny you should say that, because that particularly shot was blocked lol. And I don't fancy her, just happened to get a god shot ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 am 

I like it! However, I prefer women beach volleyball :lol: :lol: :lol: