Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 am 
I was looking through this forum and found a suggestion on starting a thread for light trails and thought it was a good idea so here we go. These are my contribution and as always CC is welcomed

All pics are taken with a Rebel Xsi/450d and only the first has any editing using Aperture 2

F8, shutter at 30 seconds ISO 100 using the kit lens at 41mm. First shot with the camera with it sitting on the bridge between the rails

f8.4, Shutter at 6 seconds, ISO 200, kit lens at 18mm focal length. Hummelstown PA on 12/26/08 with a new tripod

F3.0, Shutter at 16.5 seconds, ISO 400, 50mm (Canon nifty-fifty) Taken in Columbia PA at Chickies Rock looking down at the Susquehanna River and Route 30 towards York PA the day I got the 50mm lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Nice idea for a thread! Some nice shots you've go there, the only thing I'd say is to watch sharpness/focus carefully.

Here's my contribution:

Exposure: 30 sec
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 pm 
I guess the main goal is to achieve these images is a long enough shuttertime to get the trails, and that in mind adjust the rest to get that desired time.

Are there any considerations about aperture when taking these kind of pictures?

Is a small aperture better than a large or vice versa?

Long (or relativelly long) exposuretime ofcourse, but how about aperture and things as ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm 
Well if it's dark enough then you wont need a small aperture to force a long shutter speed. You can use a small aperture like f/32 to get the desired shutter but this will cause image softening due to diffraction so an ND filter would probably be the best way to reduce the light entering the lens. I always keep the ISO low for this type of shot as they're always shot on a tripod so you can afford to keep the noise as low as possible.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm 
Rather old shot, but about my only try at light trails :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 am 
Here are my first attempt while on the go WITHOUT Tripod :( at least I'm trying :D

The second shot I lean my camera against a pillar to support it but not bad at all thought a little blurry!

Both of this picture were taken at a different day & place :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:51 pm 
@podgeorge - Those are amazing. Wonder where were you standing for those shots :)

Here is mine... taken a month back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
A view form the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol.

Clifton Village. A bit snobby but a nice place to go for a beer.

Bangkok. THis was taken really quickly with my cybershot.

Taken while riding a Taxi in Bangkok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:01 pm 
Yo Check check this out my Dreamy Light trail shot with the use of pop up flash! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 pm 
liethemoon that last photo is well cool :shock: , how did u do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 pm 
I'd assume that attempt was taken with a 160 degree clockwise rotation of the camera during the exposure to get that sort of trail of light.

To add my contribution to this thread:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 am 

I have posted this already but i think its also pretty! but i found yours pretier guys!

no one can gues whats this! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 pm 
mine here...taken at the Adelaide fringe festival opening parade..if only that elbow wasn't there..handheld though..0.5 sec...so that fire was twirling pretty fast.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 pm 
Thats about the only pics i got with a trail light, is still to cold out there to go out at night with my tripod. This week-end is going to be hot tho 26C/80F woohoo !!!