Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 pm 
This will probably sound like a silly question, but does anyone have tips for how they record names of athletes/competitors/dancers, etc at events where there are multiple heats, so that they can later add the names to captions for the photos?

Sometimes you get given a sheet with a list of the competitor's names in the order they appear, but I'm usually too busy taking photos to record the names at the time. I'm not sure if sports/events photographers tend to find it easier using a pencil and notepad to jot down the camera photo number and the heat/event number, and then match this up later with information from the event marketing sources, or if it's easier just to carry a small voice recorder and use this in between different events/matches, etc?

Just curious on what people find easier to use for recording details at the time.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:57 pm 

I have never done it but maybe do it a simple as you can... For example, take heat one and write down all the names & numbers of all the competitors, then do it again for the second heat, and so on and so on.. This might have been something you are downing but that is the way I would do it until I find another easier faster way...

P.S. I'm not sure this is what you wanted I'm sorry but I thought I'd bump it up to the top because I'd love to know how to also...

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 am 
I've come across a website for Sportingimages.com.au, where they have galleries of sports images. They don't seem to provide captions other than the heat/race number, but they do have a few events where they provide the athletes names... and that's mainly what I'm curious about, if sports photographers tend to try to have names added to photos before providing copies to their client, or if this is usually completely up to to the client to identity the participants? Newspaper photographers usually have names attached to the captions, even for small events, and it would be great to know the extent of their collaboration with the event organisers afterwards to match names to faces.

http://sportingimages.com.au/category/blog/
http://sportingimages.com.au/gallery200 ... swim/Open/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 am 

I see what you are saying... Well, I guess maybe if the photographer interviews the athlete that is in the picture he/she is selling? I'm stumped! Haha!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:29 pm 
From a photojournalistic perspective - we need a cutline to accompany photos, therefore documentation is useful.

If you're shooting alone then it's why you find voice recording facilities on top end bodies - either that or a separate dictaphone so one can make quick verbal notes along the way. There's too much hassle involved in taking physical notes in between photography.

With larger agencies, they will usually have a runner that will process photos sent over a wireless network at the event itself, and they have that task to identify before sending images over an FTP to the offices.