Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:18 pm 
the problem is also lighting though.

I almost need an f4 or lower, to get decent shutter speeds, and to get that in a 500mm lens is expensive (I'm a university student. money is always tight).

I'm still new to photography as well (only about 2 months since i bought my first DSLR), and I'm not sure I'm good enough to warrant purchasing another lens... YET.

EDIT: :idea: I guess the simpler option would be to go to games during the day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:04 pm 

jake.rohan wrote:
the problem is also lighting though.

EDIT: :idea: I guess the simpler option would be to go to games during the day...

"Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.
George Eastman"

:wink:

I didn't think the 500mm was all that expensive compared to others.
Then again my G/F definately did :roll:
I mostly chase critters and the results she is seeing from it I "think" are changing her mind however she'll never admit it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:48 am 
Hey Jake,

Nice try on the cricket shots, cricket is definately a photographers nightmare especially the day-nighters or the 2020s. I am going to the AUS-NZ 2020 in Feb and was seriously contemplating bringing my 70-200mm f2.8 but after seeing your shots at 300mm I won't even bother. I might bring it for atmosphere shots but I won't be getting any action :(
I would say you are right, most of the press photogrpahers would have at least 600mm if not an extension on these. The problem with cricket is the action happens within a fraction of a second 70 metres away. Maybe, (depending on where your seats are or you could walk around) try going to where the batsmen enter and exit the field so you can capture the look of satisfaction or dissapointment (like MJ Clarkes 138 yesterday after he got out) as they walk off the field. Also try looking out for where they have the awards ceremony after the match you could get some interesting photos. I might try some of these.

Regards
Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:16 pm 
DanielD wrote:
I am going to the AUS-NZ 2020 in Feb and was seriously contemplating bringing my 70-200mm f2.8 but after seeing your shots at 300mm I won't even bother. I might bring it for atmosphere shots but I won't be getting any action :(
I would say you are right, most of the press photogrpahers would have at least 600mm if not an extension on these.

And most of the pros have a smaller crop factor to deal with so they need even more reach.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:49 pm 
I feel these are pretty decent shots and especially the last one, you got good timing on that. Sadly no cricket here in US, so cant give a shot at cricket photos. Although enjoyed watching yesterday's test match on TV :wink: Wat a cracker! Pity for Smith who got out right at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:16 am 
I agree with ABHIJIT it was a cracking test match. Even though Australia lost the series the match was fantastic with Smith playing with a broken hand and injured elbow for 40 balls. I was literally on the edge of my seat for every delivery and the partnership seemed to withstand everything we threw at them. It would have been INCREDIBLY demoralising if we couldn't bowl out a tailender and a guy with a broken hand but luckily we did. The 2020 match on Sunday should be a ripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm 
they seem a couple of stops underexposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
Thats probably because he was shooting at 300mm and that focal length wont allow wide aperture as 4 or 2.8. Those must have been at 5.6
If you shoot in RAW, you always have chance to correct exposure or other things. I personally shoot RAW + JPEG. And I check JPEG first, if I am not happy, I process my RAW in ACR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 am 
Cricket is a religion in India. Too bad the Americans, Russians, Chinese and Japanese aren't into it. I think the Twenty-20 would be more attractive for starters. Yes, you do need a very big zoom lens to get good cricketing action.