Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A day at the cricket
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 am 
went to the cricket earlier in the week. It wasn't an important match at all, just state level. South Australia Vs Western Australia

Unfortunately, i had a fair bit of trouble with the lighting (night game). the oval lights were fairly bright, but I would have liked a little less motion blur on some of them.

EDIT: I cant actulay see any motion blur when they are scaled down for the forum, i guess you can only see it when looking at the hi-res versions?!?!

All photos were taking with my new Sigma 70-300mm F4/5.6 DG Macro lens.

C&C encouraged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 am 

I personally like them... I don't get to see much cricket here in Florida... In fact I have never seen a game... People around here don't even know what it is sometimes... I would love to go watch a game... I herd its a blast!

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 am 
They're good shots. Have you tried cropping the first one to make it seem like a closer portrait shot of the player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 am 
melbourneguy75 wrote:
They're good shots. Have you tried cropping the first one to make it seem like a closer portrait shot of the player?

I did crop it, but then deleted it. i preferred the background. Gave it a bit more scope maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:07 am 
MBrutus2009 wrote:
I personally like them... I don't get to see much cricket here in Florida... In fact I have never seen a game... People around here don't even know what it is sometimes... I would love to go watch a game... I herd its a blast!

If you ever come to Australia it will be summer (unless your stupid...), so it will be cricket season. the game can be a little slow to people that like fast action sports, but the atmosphere is always unbelievable.

I greatly prefer it to baseball, which is probably its closest (American) relative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:16 am 

My brother used to watch it some on T.V. and told me how to play... It seems like fun but like you said a bit slow... I personally can't stand baseball... Don't like it at all... But a new sport would be fun to watch... I'm starting to get sick of watching the same old sports over and over again... (other then tennis...I can watch it every day! haha!)

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 am 
Yeah. i understand exactly what you mean. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the game. don't get me wrong, i like it, but i prefer the hard hitting sports.

the problem is, is that the bowler always takes a long run up, so there can often be an average of only one ball a minute. And the test matches (they go for two innings each with no ball limit), can take up to 5 days to complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am 

Wow! Maybe I won't like the game hehe... Seems really slow. But for a while I would like it.

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 am 
If you wanted to get started watching cricket, watch a twenty20 match. they are normally full of fast bowls and BIG hits, because the are only have 20 overs to score as much as they can.

this was what i was shooting the other day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 am 
I personally don't know the game but general rule of thumbs of sport photography is you want to capture the peak action.

able to see the face of player is quite important so we can see their expressions.

About background, it could become distracting, so many people set a max aperture so that the background become blur.

to combat motion blur, you need to set higher shutter speed, such as 1/640 or more

composition wise, try to check out rule of thirds
http://www.radiantlite.com/2008/07/rule-of-third.html

it seems like you are very far from the field, is that anyway you can move or zoom in closer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:26 pm 
Hmmm, you should have gone to the 2nd Australia vs South Africa test! :roll:

Last edited by Kobus on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
it seems like you are very far from the field, is that anyway you can move or zoom in closer?

I was using a 300mm lens, and i was in the front row... the ground was just so @*#%!($ BIG!!!!

I'm thinking about getting a 2x teleconverter though, i just don't think I'll be using it very much. And i heard that the images will look a lot softer when using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:21 am 
wow that is a huge field indeed.

Do you see any pro photographer nearby? what lens are they using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 am 
Enche Zein wrote:
wow that is a huge field indeed.

Do you see any pro photographer nearby? what lens are they using?

BIIIIIIGGGGG ones!!!! i couldn't really tell how long they were, but if i had to take a guess, i would say around 800mm. maybe more.

i was the only photographer there in the stands, the rest were press/professional and on the boundary.

I was in the front row, and all of my shots were taken at 300mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 pm 

Great shots jake...

I have a 500mm Sigma and I think it would be quite "adequate" for a cricket field.
I tried a 2X converter on my 300mm and was less than impressed with the results thankfully it was borrowed, plus it was quite old so maybe not at it's prime or something but the pics were what you would say "soft" also focus was manual only being an old converter.
Find a 500mm you can mount on your cam for a peek...I think the choice will be easy :wink: