Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm 

I am looking to write a short article on Action Sports Photography. What would you consider to be some of the top ten questions/tips with answers that new comers to Action Sports Photography would ask or would want to know?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 am 

I have always loved action shots!!! I wounder sometimes, what should I use... Shutter priority or Aperture priority mode? Or go ahead a test my skills with fully manual?

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:27 am 

full manual, especially the light intensity is constant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:38 am 

Good tip... But what if my skills with full manual is not that best???

50mm f1.8
quatary mono/tripod

Google+
Facebook
Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 am 

The common questions would probably be:

-What mode to shoot in?
-What ISO to set?
-What focus mode to set?
-What metering?

My tips would be:
-Shoot in whatever mode you are comfortable with. If you are most comfortable in the Auto mode, then switch into a scene mode (i.e. sports) if your camera has it. Otherwise, shoot either Shutter or Aperture priority, or manual.

-Depending on what action/sport you are photographing, you want to specifically set up the camera. This is where Manual mode is nice. Quickly able to set both Aperture and Shutter speed to suit the scene and the subject. ISO depends on your event.

For example, outside in daylight, photographing fast moving things, you might need to bump your ISO up to around 400 or maybe 800 to be able to stop/freeze the subject. Unless you have a fast (f/2.8) lens, in which case you might be able to just use ISO 100/200.

Indoors basketball will most likely require a higher ISO, like 800 or maybe 1600 in order to freeze the subject.

With manual mode, you can always set the exposure values, and then check your light meter to see how your exposure is doing. Whether it's overexposed or underexposed depending on the graph. So setting your f-stop and shutter speed shouldn't be too hard.

Focus mode/Metering mode:
-AI Servo modes work the best for moving subjects. Refer to your manual to see which AF mode works best for moving subjects. Now; Metering, depending on your mode and your event, Evaluative metering could possibly work better. But if your subject covers more of the frame, then use Center Weighted Average, or spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am 

MBrutus2009 wrote:
Good tip... But what if my skills with full manual is not that best???

hehe don't be intimidated by the term "MANUAL" it is easy to set, andyou will get consistent result comparing to aperture priority or shutter priority

just set the aperture, shutter speed and iso corresponding to the available light and you're set to go.

Next your job is to point, focus and shoot.

the most important thing will be the shutter speed need to be around 1/500 (if the game is quite slow) 1/640 (fast paced action), you can set higher iso and aperture to balance the light.

you will need fast lens, 50mm f/1.4 will be ideal for under the basket.