Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:33 pm 

My first venture into the realms of DSLR, had the camera 3 days before xmas and the shot was taken on xmas night :)

My setup was
S mode 1/200
ISO auto
F/4.8

Learning, enjoying having fun :D

all comments welcome.

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 pm 

Very well timed! I like the shot.

A couple of questons: Did you use a flash? What lens and focal length was used?

As for a critique on the shot:

The focus is good, DOF is good, you have blurred the woman in the background sufficiently to make her not a distraction but with enough detail to see her reaction to whats happening to the subject. Exposure seems good and focus is good.

To improve this shot you could have tried an external flash, bounced off the ceiling. This would have removed the pronounced shadow cast by the Jenga blocks on the guys arm. Also you could have tried taking the ISO off of auto and set it to around 400, I would guess if you looked at the Exif it was higher than this, but this is based on the noise present on the sofa. Most DSLR perform excellently upto ISO400 and some do very well at ISO800. Of course another reason for the noise could be heavy processing.

I hope this gives you enough critical feedback. For a first attempt using a DSLR you did very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 pm 

As you could probably guess I must have taken 80 to 100 plus shots during the evening, trying various settings to get a good clear shot. And not catching the right moment when the tower fell over :roll:

I did use a flash whilst using the Nikkor 18-105 at 45mm. As you mentioned the ISO is on Auto and has a high reading. I haven't processed the photo in any way what you see is what I took, excepting some cropping.

I like your comments and drawing my attention to the shadow on the arm, it's not something I had really noticed before. Good lesson learned here I need to pre-plan better and proof my shots better.

Many thanks for taking the time to view and comment.

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 am 

Your very welcome.

As I mentioned before, the next thing to try is taking the ISO off of auto. As you had the camera in S mode you fixed the shutter speed, if you fix the ISO then the aperture becomes the variable and provided there is enough light you should get a reasonable aperture. Using the flash will also help this and you can play about with the flash settings as well such as rear curtain, front curtain (assuming you camera has these, Im not too familiar with D90.)