Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm 

Hey guys,

So, in about two or so weeks, I'll be shooting my friend's band, Times (www.myspace.com/checkthetimes to those interested).

Now, I have shot a couple of local shows performers (you can find them at the end of my flickr photo stream), but with less than ideal equipment for the job (slow glass, poor low light performance of the camera).

I really want to do this show right, so I'll be renting some faster class for the event, most likely a prime or two, which will be going on my 40D.

Since I reckon I'll be pretty close to the stage, would a 50mm 1.4 suffice? I also may rent the 10-20mm EFS for some wide angle shots as well.

Is there a particular lens that you guys have found works exceptionally well for these conditions? Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

http://patrickandacamera.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:02 pm 

if you really want a wide angle I'd suggest the f/2.8 Tokina 11-16mm for that extra stop (and it's got good optics too)

as for the primes.. I'm not really quite sure if a 50mm will be enough reach for some portrait (shoulders up) shots of the performers. you might think about an f/2.8 70-200mm (the canon one with IS would be unbeatable)

Website
Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm 

Nostrum wrote:
as for the primes.. I'm not really quite sure if a 50mm will be enough reach for some portrait (shoulders up) shots of the performers.

I don't think I would need that much reach though, as I'm pretty sure I can get right at the stage, and even on it for some shots.

EDIT: Off to the side, of course.

http://patrickandacamera.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 am 

50mm prime is good enough, and a fast zoom like 17-55 f/2.8 or 24-70mm f/2.8 will be ok.

Superwide will be a good option but not necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:50 am 

I found that using a 50mm doesn't get you close enough. Honestly, thats where the 70-200mm f/2.8 comes in handy (which i will be getting back this Christmas!!! yay!)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 am 

when you're in the pit 50mm is close enough, but if you want to shot super closeup (only shoulder and head) then you need 85mm

but i never need 100mm+ for example.
So depend how close the pit to the stage/performers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:52 am 

If you're going to be close to the stage, I'd probably go for the 50mm or an 85mm 1.8, but a 70-200 2.8 should also work well if the lighting is okay. If it's going to be dark, I'd stick with the 1.4/1.8 lenses just to be on the safe side.