Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skiing With Camera?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:54 pm 
Hello everyone,

In a week or two I will be going to Whistler B.C. to ski with my family. I would love to take pictures of us skiing in some knee deep powder and all that, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing it.

Anybody have experience skiing with a camera before? I'm most likely going to be carrying a pack with me, with my camera in it. When I want to take a picture, I'll stop, take out my camera, and then snap away...

My biggest concern is me falling, and breaking my camera. I can't really control that, because it is bound to happen. Another of my concerns is getting the camera wet, but that shouldn't be a huge deal, my pack is fairly waterproof.

So, anybody have experience skiing with a camera, or any suggestions?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 pm 
To ski or to shoot, that is the question! The last time I did both I chose one day of the week where I would ski at a relatively calm pace so that I could carry my camera around. I was lucky because I fell on gliders that day (which featured in one of my first threads here on CL).
Thats how I went around doing it. The rest of the time I skied as I generally do (fast and finding out new ways to fall over^^).

As for keeping your camera dry, there are different techniques like putting a plastic bag over it for example.

In any case, as long as you have the camera on your back and skis on your feet be extra careful!

Hope I helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:07 pm 
You, know what i'd do! Just don't fall over! :lol: Well that depends how good skier you are, but every skier is going to fall over sometime! Just try your best not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:57 pm 
On the frontpage of lowepro.com, they sometimes show a guy skiing, with a camerabag on his chest. Couldn't find anything more about it though.
You could check out this discussion though. (From a ski-forum i think)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:27 pm 
Thanks guys.

I was thinking of putting my camera, in my camera bag so that it has some padding, and then putting that camera bag in my backpack (MEC air 28)

I'm not so worried about the camera getting wet when I take it out, just when I fall, I don't want water soaking in through my bag, and getting to the camera.

I'm a fairly good skier, can do most terrain almost everywhere if good conditions. But then again, falling does happen, no matter how good of a skier you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:55 pm 
mh yeah I'm having similar concerns about taking my cam with me for snowboarding :/ I guess I'm gonna get myself a dedicated camera backpack and just be very careful about not falling over.. Also a very important thing to remember when shooting in cold conditions: Do NOT take your camera out of the bag when sitting in a restaurant or in the car again as it will result in condesing water. when you get it home, let it warm up slowly inside the bag for 2 hours or so before you take it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:27 am 
Yeah, Lowpro has some very nice bags...

Perhaps for a christmas present :roll: