Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: My next lens?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:45 am 
Hello,

I am looking into getting a new lens for my birthday. The ones I have looked at are the Canon 70-300 IS USM, Canon 50mm F/1.4, Tamron 90mm Macro, also a brief look at the Sigma wide zoom range. I think it was the 28-300.

I'm currently quite into Studio work. I've setup my own little macro studio, which is working pretty well.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/204/d/b/Red_Wonder_by_JackMcIntyre.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/204/5/b/Pink_Infant_by_JackMcIntyre.jpg

There's a couple of examples, both taken with the 18-55 Kit lens.

However, i'm quite into portrait stuff, such as this one:

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs16/i/2007/ ... Intyre.jpg

Thats where the 50mm F/1.4 comes in, as i've seen some very very sharp images taken with it.

I use a Canon 350D, but i'm getting a little tired of having not much zoom. If I spot a bird sat on a wall (quite common out of my window) then I have to sneak up on it and 99% of the time it fly's away. I was looking at the Canon 70-300mm, but I don't really want to be changing between my 18-55 and my 70-300 all the time, so I had a quick look at the Sigma 18-200 or the 28-300.

Anyone tried any of these lenses and/or could recommend whick would be best for me?

Thanks alot,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:45 am 
Anyone? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 am 
Macro and portrait - I would choose Tamron 90mm macro. And perhaps get a 2x teleconverter (180mm) for the bird shots? I havn't got experience with any of the lenses but I'm saving for a macro lens myself so have done a little research on the Tamron also :)

BTW great shots, really like the last one a lot!

Post subject: Lens choices
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:52 am 

Jack wrote:
Anyone tried any of these lenses and/or could recommend which would be best for me?

It is really difficult to offer advice about "which would be best" because only you can decide which sort of photography you want your new lens to do best.

Maybe if you decide what area (macro/portrait/nature) you want to concentrate on with your next lens you might get more feedback?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: Re: Lens choices
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Jack wrote:
Anyone tried any of these lenses and/or could recommend which would be best for me?

It is really difficult to offer advice about "which would be best" because only you can decide which sort of photography you want your new lens to do best.

Maybe if you decide what area (macro/portrait/nature) you want to concentrate on with your next lens you might get more feedback?

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Thats the hardest part of choosing a lens. I don't really have a specific area I need to concentrate on, I do pretty much everything.

Post subject: Next lens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:52 pm 

Hi Jack,

I don't have any experience with the lenses you have highlighted as possible choices but here are a few thoughts.

The Canon 70-300 IS USM determines your maximum budget but you "don't really want to be changing between my 18-55 and my 70-300 all the time". Within budget the only Canon zoom which seem to fit he bill as a general purpose lens with IS and a better telephoto capability than your 18-55 is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I don't believe that Gordon has reviewed this lens yet but you can see reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com and SLR Gear (click the links to read the reviews). From those reviews this lens appears to be good value and can, of course, be used on full-frame Canon cameras should you wish to go that route later on.

I imagine that the only reason you didn't mention this lens in your list is that you feel that 135mm doesn't get you close enough to those birds on the wall! Another way of looking at this is that at 135mm you are getting 45% of the linear resolution that you could achieve at 300mm with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - is that good enough? Bear in mind that you won't necessarily achieve a better result at 300mm compared with 135mm if that is achieved by buying a less sharp third party lens without image stabilisation.

You might then have enough left in the budget to buy the EF 50 mm f/1.8 II. This lens is reviewed at The-Digital-Picture.com and SLR Gear. This lens is excellent value but whether the "buzzy" autofocus and slightly lumpy bokeh are a compromise too far only you can decide.

It seems that you are reasonably content with your macro work at the moment so maybe that upgrade could be deferred? If not then maybe the 25mm extension tube coupled with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM?

Hope the above is useful, even if it only provokes a "that's rubbish" reaction which, nevertheless, helps you clarify you own thoughts!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:34 pm 

Consider the Tamron 180mm/F3.5 macro too. See test here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses ... /index.htm
Excellent resoultion, and also gives you that extra working distance plus a very nice tele!