Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 10-22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am 
So, full-frame bodies have 16-35, and the crop sensor have 10-22 which equals 16-35mm. I heard that someone could "hack" the lens to fit a full frame body.. it would be interesting to see, because on full frame you can only go to 16 and it's really wide. imagine a true 10 mm :)

Post subject: Hacking lenses
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:36 am 

Well, a hacksaw might work. :)

EF-S lenses are designed to produce an image on a cropped sensor. If you could use such a lens on a full-frame sensor the vignetting and aberrations at the edges of the full-frame sensor would be horrible.

Another issue is with EF-S lenses protruding into the camera body more than EF lenses. Full frame cameras need a larger mirror for the viewfinder and the mirror might hit an EF-S lens.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 am 
yeah..i heard they could hack a lens to clear the mirror and still work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:36 am 
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/extube.html

Post subject: Hacking EF-S lenses
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:02 am 

Using an extension tube might solve the clearance issue but the EF-S lens is still not likely to produce an optically decent image at the edges of a full-frame sensor.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 am 
Hi

Its possible to use this Efs 10-22 on a 1.25crop body(1DmarkIIn) with good results.However its impossible to use it at the widest end....you can only use it between 12-22mm.At 12mm i do not have any vignetting if used without a filter.When used with a filter there's some vignetting to about 13.5mm. This lens becomes a 15mm in 35mm format on a 1D.(12mmx1.25crop=15mm)
At 10-11.5mm the rear element sticks out farther than the lens mount at the back and the mirror from the 1D hits the glass when used in that manner. You als need to make some changes preventing the lens from zooming wider than 12mm. I did this by glueing in a metal ring just behind the filterthread.The lens can now fisically not zoom further than 12mm that way. At the rear the plastic cap that fits around the contactpins and element needs to be replaced by an version out of a normal Ef lens. The Efs cap is higher an goes further back into the camerabody.....so if not replaced the mirror hits it.

I dont think the image circle will be wide enough to cover a full frame sensor, its barely big enough to cover the aps-h sensor of a 1D.
I used to use this efs lens on a 30D but i upgraded to a 1D recently. There where not really wide lenses available for this body. A 17-40 L or 16-35 L is not that wide on a 1D. The only lens that comes near 12mm is the Sigma 12-24ex and is usable on a full-frame....downside it has no filterthread. So this was not a good option for me, because i use filters regularly. Sorry for my bad writing ( englisch is not my language)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi Peter, welcome to the forums!

Good grief! - have I got this right? Are you really using the EF-S 10-22mm on a 1D Mark IIn? I knew there'd be issues concerning edge quality and the mirror potentially hitting the rear element, but I thought the ultimate problem would be a physical incompatibility when actually mounting the lens on the body bayonet!

I must admit I've never tried fitting an EF-S lens to one of Canon's 1.3x crop bodies like the 1D Mark IIn, but I do know they physically just won't even mount on a full-frame body like the 5D.

If they do fit on the 1.3x bodies and the results are ok, then that's a really nice modification! Although I note 1.3 times 12mm gives you close to 16mm, which is the same as 1.6 times 10mm, on the proper EF-S bodies. Still, as you say, the official alternative from Canon (16-35 / 17-40) aren't as wide.

Please do post photos of both the lens mounted on the body - and of course some shots taken with it!

Thanks,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:03 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Peter, welcome to the forums!

Good grief! - have I got this right? Are you really using the EF-S 10-22mm on a 1D Mark IIn? I knew there'd be issues concerning edge quality and the mirror potentially hitting the rear element, but I thought the ultimate problem would be a physical incompatibility when actually mounting the lens on the body bayonet!

I must admit I've never tried fitting an EF-S lens to one of Canon's 1.3x crop bodies like the 1D Mark IIn, but I do know they physically just won't even mount on a full-frame body like the 5D.

If they do fit on the 1.3x bodies and the results are ok, then that's a really nice modification! Although I note 1.3 times 12mm gives you close to 16mm, which is the same as 1.6 times 10mm, on the proper EF-S bodies. Still, as you say, the official alternative from Canon (16-35 / 17-40) aren't as wide.

Please do post photos of both the lens mounted on the body - and of course some shots taken with it!

Thanks,

Gordon

Hi Gordon

You are correct ..normally there's no way to attach an Efs lens on a 5D,1D or 1Ds. The reason why is not caused by the lensmount(bajonet) though, its because the sealing cap near the rear element is larger than that of a normal Ef lens. If you try to mount it the plastic cover hits the inside of the mirrorchamber before the bajonet can connect. I removed this piece of plastic an replaced it by one from a broken(beyond repair) Ef lens. After this you CAN attach an Efs on a non Efs body. But at this stage it would not be very wise to do so, because the rear element also is a bit larget than a normal Ef lens at the 10-11.5mm setting .It hits the mirror at the widest end. To safely use this 10-22 you need to block the lens from zooming further than 12mm.I did this by glueing in a 3mm ring just behind the filterthread near the frontelement. Now its possible to use the lens safely between 12-22 mm. The ring blocks the lens from zooming to the widest end.

The 1.3crop bodies from Canon are in fact all 1.25 crop bodies. I think they just use 1.3 for an easyer calculation for focal lenght. A 30D is not a 1.6 but a 1.58 crop. I only found out about that when i compared the photo's from the 1D body with this lens at 12mm and a photo from a 30D with this lens at 10mm. Its a lot wider on the 12mm setting on a 1D. ( 1.25x 12mm = 15mm in 35mm format).

The lens does not distort or soften the corners more than when used on my 30D. I found it performed even better than the 17-40L that i bought to use on my 1D.....and its a lot wider.(maybe i bought a bad copy 17-40mmL). There's is a downside though...when i put a slim polarizer on this lens i get vignetting. Once past 13.5mm there's no longer vignetting.

Here's a photo with the 10-22 on my 1D body.http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1087/1001781890_cfebd09c36_o.jpg

Here you find two photo's taken with this Efs 10-22 on a 1D at 12mm
http://gallery.zoom.nl/image/581163/html/

http://gallery.zoom.nl/image/583970/html/

Last edited by Houtmeyers Peter on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:06 am 
Site Admin

This is great information, thanks Peter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 am 
si you're shooting at 12 mm instead of 16...... that niceee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:07 pm 
Cr4zYH3aD wrote:
si you're shooting at 12 mm instead of 16...... that niceee

Not really 12mm .....the 1Dbody's are 1.25crops. So 12mm x 1.25 = 15mm(in 35mm). This Efs lens is now wider than the widest zooms that Canon has to offer for their fullframe body's.....the only lens even wider (not fisheye) is the 2000 euro 14mm 2.8 L.