Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:44 am 
Hi,

Stumbled across your website and read the OES 400D review posted yesterday (congratulations on being one of the first places to review this model! And congratulations on such a brilliant website!).

Up till now, I've been happy pottering with my Pentax Optio 555 (and getting some reasonably good shots), which is reasonably compact and still has some tweakable features (shutter and aperture priority etc). Due to a scratch on the lens, I decided to buy a new compact camera - ended up getting the Ixus 800 IS (arrived Tuesday).

However, it's just not tweakable enough for me (was bought as it has to be compact enough for my wife!), which got me thinking about getting into the D-SLR arena.

I've been eyeing up the 350 for a little while, but am not sure whether to plump for that or wait a little bit longer for the price of the 400 to come down a bit.

My question is, is it worth the wait, or should I just go for the 350 (as the price is likely to come down even further now that the 400 is around!) and buy some more lenses? Or is this just a silly question :)

Rhyan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rhyan, thanks for your kind words and we're glad you enjoyed the review!

As we said on the 400D Verdict page, the new body features slightly higher resolution, anti-dust capabilities, improved AF and a bigger screen over the 350D, but that's about it.

They're all worth having, but certainly don't make the 350D a poor choice. On the contrary, the 350D remains an excellent camera and a superb first DSLR for anyone. I'd say carefully check the prices over the next couple of weeks, as there's bound to be some 350D bargains now the 400D's been announced.

If the difference is small, go for the 400D, but if the difference allows you to afford a better quality lens, or put it towards a more useful second lens, then you'll probably find the 350D a better bet.

Gordon

Post subject: 400D
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:07 pm 
Hi Gordon, the 400D review is excellent and thanks.

I am going to upgrade from my 300D and am tossing up between 30D and 400D. In looking at the features and reviews, no one has commented on the comparative ease of use of the Manual exposure option. On the 300D it is a pain. Living and working in the tropics for 30 years, I find I use this feature quite a lot, to allow best control of highly contrasting situations, eg dark faces and bright light, shadows with beaches and sky etc. AV with exposure compensation is ok but not quite as much control. Your thoughts on how these 2 cameras deal with M mode?

The $600 (in Oz) difference is a lot but I also fancy the better high ISO performance of the 30D, as it avoids having to use flash in scenes with people who may find it distracting or annoying.

Spot metering should also assist with the contrasting skin tones issue I thnk?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Vinaka

Bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bernard, the main difference I can think of between using manual mode on the 30D and 400D is the 30D can use its finger wheel for shutter speed and the rear dial for aperture, wheeras the 400D has to use its finger wheel for both - you need to hold down the AV+/- button to adjust the aperture.

Ergonomically, I'm a big fan of the rear wheel on the 30D and 5D and it can be very quick to use, but having just tried out the Manual adjustments on both cameras, I hardly felt the 400D was holding me back.

In its favour as you say, the 30D has better build quality, spot metering and 3200 ISO, along with 5fps shooting, but is this really worth paying the extra - especially sicne the 400D has 10MP, the same AF system and some attempt at anti-dust?

It's really up to you, but now the 400D's out, I'd REALLY need to want spot metering and 5fps to go for the 30D. Indeed if I decided these features and superior build was for me, I'd be tempted to wait for the 30D's successor - although despite rumours the '40D' may be just round the corner, remember Canon normally leaves a period of around 18 months between models in this range - and that would take us comfortably into 2007.

To give better advice though, I'd really need to know more about what it is you don't like about the 300D, and what you'd be looking for in an upgrade...

Cheers,

Gordon

Post subject: Canon 400D
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:06 pm 
Gordon, many thanks for the helpful comments. As it happens I was able to borrow a 350D for the long weekend just gone. I have smallish hands and shorter fingers, so what a revelation after the 300D. I found the 350D with either my 17-85 or the 70-200 f4 a very well balanced combination and the grip really suited my hands. That answers the question and the 400D it will be.

With the 300D, main complaints after 3 years are lag times (start up and from standby mode) and it does hunt for focus in low light quite a bit. Noise has not really worried me as i have not pushed its limits too much. I have also found some issues when using my 550EX, it just won't accept the higher shutter speed settings.

Again, many thanks and keep up the great site.