Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:51 am 
Hello,
Firstly thank you for the great site! Your reviews really helped me in choosing my 400D which I've just got, but am very happy with.

I hope you'll be able to help me with 2 questions:

1. Gordan advised in an earlier post that a good budget lens purchase would be a twin lens kit with the 18-55mm and the canon 70-300mm. I've read that the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III has been replaced but it's still available in my country and fits the budget. It's available in both USM and without.

Will USM make focusing quicker or just cut noice levels (this isn't a problem for me on the kit lens)?

2. I've been shooting in Av & Tv modes recently and all shots were recorded with a tungstan effect. Was this because of the low light/cloudy conditions I was in or part of the pre-set? I was after more faithful colours.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roland, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

1: USM lenses are normally faster at focusing as well as quieter. I would always recommend them over non-USM Canon lenses.

2: By tungsten effect, do you mean they have come out with an orange tint? Were they taken under indoor light? If they were taken outdoor, make sure the White Balance was set to Auto. If they were taken indoors, you may need to switch the white balance to indoor / tungsten to get rid of the ornage colour. If it still doesn't work, try either taking a manual white balance from an white object like a plate, or shoot in RAW mode and choose the white balance in software later.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:25 pm 
Thank you Gordon,
I'll check my White Balance settings next time more closely.

Would you mind answering another question?
Why does my 400D have a 1.6x focal length multiplier? Is this because of a slightly smaller sensor than other larger DSLR's? Will this automatically increase the range of any lense I fit? (ie. the kit lense focal range is actually 29-88mm, not 18-55mm)

Could you confirm if this would effect any Canon lense I fit?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roland, yes, the 1.6x factor will apply to every lens you fit to your 400D / XTi. This 1.6x factor is also the same on the 30D / 20D / 10D product line.

Most other DSLRs have a 1.5x factor because their sensors are fractionally larger. This physical size difference though is minimal and doesn't have an impact on, say, noise levels.

Gordon