Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New lense for 400D
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:13 pm 

I am in between the EF-S 17-85 or the Sigma 17-70, reviews have the Sigma way ahead, the reviews i've read for the 17-85 aren't that great, 17-55 is to expensive for me, and the 17-40L if you look at the MTF on it the 17-70 pretty much matches it thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Spartanwarrior, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I haven't tested the Sigma 17-70mm, so can't comment, but I have directly compared the Canon 17-85mm, 17-55mm, 17-40mm - and the kit 18-55mm in our Canon lens group test here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Hope that helps!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:00 pm 

Thanks Gordon, i don't really think much of the 17-40 there's just no zoom on that one, and the 17-55 i think would be to huge on the 400D, the 17-85 looks like a good one, but i am mostly towards the 17-70 lens for some reason. Oh, is there anyway to tell if your getting a bad copy maybe some tests to do, wouldn't want to walk away with a bad copy thanks. One more question, also 2 weeks ago i bought a Canon S3 IS that i find to be a very good camera with very good IQ as a back up, how would you compare the S3 IS to the Fuji S6000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I'm afraid I've not tested either the Fuji or the Canon S3 IS, so again I can't comment! As for seeing if you have a good lens copy, just take some photos of detailed subjects at every aperture and check the edges and corners for softness. All lenses suffer from some softness, but if you think there's too much, then you may have a bad copy.

Gordon