Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 30D versus 400D ??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:04 pm 

Hello Gordon,
Here's a teaser for you ! Out of the two cameras listed above what would you recommend as the ideal choice for body only purchase? After reading numerous internet reports on both models I am finding it extremely difficult to select between the two. The 10 mp of the 400D sounds good but is it noticeable ? and is spot metering on the 30D something to consider as a real benefit ?
On a slightly different note I did purchase the 24-105mm lens and it is superb !!
Best regards,
Simon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Simon, there's not much difference between 8 and 10mp, and in my view the anti-dust on the 400D wasn't particularly effective.

So for me the choice between them is really whether you're willing to pay the extra for the superior build quality, brighter viewfinder, spot-metering and 5fps continuous shooting of the 30D. it depends which features you want or need.

I'd personally find it hard to buy a 30D today though given its successor must be so close now...

What are you using the 24-105mm on?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:13 am 

I have been thinking the same, in that it may be worth waiting for the 40D to appear - does anyone know of any information - websites which are revealing any details on this model ?
I am using the 24-105mm lens on a 350D at the moment. It is proving an excellent choice and I am more than happy with its performance - especially against the kit lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi Simon, all anyone can do now is speculate about the 40D - and that includes the name!

I'd say it'll be approx 10mpixels, but a bit higher than the 400D / XTi because they'll need to make a new sensor to maintain the faster 5fps shooting rate - so maybe 10.8 just to get the tongues wagging. And it'll have anti-dust.

But otherwsie I reckon it'll be the same as before. That's my bet! Anyone care to raise the stakes? 11 Mpixels perhaps? New AF system?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:51 am 

I think the 350D is a very good camera and does return some excellent images, but its only let down is the small lcd screen at the rear and also the AF system.
It is a tough decision whether to wait or not - as the roll out of the 400D and 30D improved upon what were already good cameras.

If the 40D only improves upon the 30D does it make it enough of an upgrade to justify its purchase !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:50 am 

Can any current owners of the 30D please provide feedback as to the plus and minus points of the 30D - and any relevant web sites please which contain information reviews etc ??
The review contained within cameralabs is excellent by the way !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 pm 

I started out with a 300D, then a 30D, and now have a 5D. The 30D is a great camera imho. Its a big step up from the 300D. Feels stronger, better viewfinder and bigger. I find the 300/350/400D too small to be honest.