Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:36 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'm on the lookout for a good camera to replace my 4-year old Sony compact, and after seing a friend's Canon S3 IS in action, i quickly grew to love it's flip&twist screen and it's versatility.

Now that i've found out that Canon has just released the S5 and it is already available in some online shops, i would really love to see a review on cameralabs.com so that i can make a proper, informed decision! Is a review of the S5 planned? I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for it!

Also of interest seems the Sony DSC-H9, and choosing between the two will be kind of difficult. What would you chose?

I need to mention that i'm pretty new to photography, and i used to shoot all on Auto, so a DSLR would probably be too complicated and much too expensive for me at the moment.

What i would like is a camera that i easy to use, big zoom and with a large flexible screen. The S5 gets extra points for me as it's screen can be used for self portraits, while Sony's screen is bigger and has a certain wow factor. Also i've seen concerns of Sony H9's image quality, but i've seen nothing on the S5. The nightmode seems like a nice toy, but i'd rather have the Canon nice button-access to things like ISO and the likes. Also, how does the new H9 menu system feel (PS3-like)? Is it good for a newcomer?

It seems to me that i need to buy something that will give me a good quality, because having an Nokia N95 (5MP cam) with me all the time is already enough for that quick&dirty pic.
I would like something that will shoot some really nice pictures and let me capture the moment and maybe give me a chance to get creative afterwards.

PS: Does the S3's of S5's screens keep showing all the various information even when flipped to self-portrait mode? I've seen at a friends Canon A620 that when the screen is turned all the way facing you while taking your own picture, nothing else appears on the display but the live preview.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ubik, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

We are planning to review the S5 IS in the future, but haven't received it yet - so I can't comment on how it compares against the H9 yet!

To see how the H9 compares against other rival superzooms though, check the verdict page of our review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyH9/verdict.shtml

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:21 pm 

Thank you for the quick answer!

I've read that review only like 5-6 times :-))

For me the competition is strictly Canon S5 versus the Sony H9 because of the flexible screens.

Olympus SP-550UZ has fixed screen, and seems a little under the H9 on handling and focus speed, while the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 seems to be a little bit on the big side and more expensive, although the specs look quite good, i must say! Also, i think that in a few months time we'll see it's refresh; Panasonic seems to have a strict one-year schedule :-)

So... i'm so eager to reading you Canon S5 review!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:55 am 

me too, i'm really confused which on to choose G7, H9 or this new one the S5! really hope see the reviews soon :)

Post subject: S5 was my choice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:15 pm 

I nearly research for two months. You can see my queries in the sony H9 forums. Gordan was kind enough to answer all my questions.
I evaluated Pana FZ50, Sony H9, G7 and Canon S3 & S5.

First canon S5 was on top then Sony H9 came in as my past thre compacts were sony. Was impressed with the pacakage that sony gave and the advantage of having batteries and memory sticks with me.

H9 went out of the race bcoz of its image quality. I already had a feeling of Ixus performing better in night than sony W70.

Then it was Pana FZ50, its sensor size is teh biggest amog all(equal to G7) i went tried my friends FZ 50, I was too big for me, the LCD is very small when compared wit others. So I dint like the feel of it took few snaps was the same as others.

then came back to Canon. Now decided that I am join the canon family. then G7 or S3 or S5. After looking at superzooms with an intension of going for a much advanced ones to compact, dint get convinced to the fixed screen in G7. I had some great photos, by this time Ihad realized that ultimate detail is only from an SLR, all other are somewhere near the 'smeary' side only!!!. More over G7 dint have Raw and the difference in the zoom. so the G7 was out.

then S3 or S5. S3 was a very good camera, S5 is next in the series, though arguments are on about its extra image processing (Digic III) there are lots of other features, bigger screen, more video recording time, face detection was to its advantage. Saw lots of photos of S3 and S5 the colou of canon was great among all and S5 and S3 were same or very close so my choice was S5 I have one now with 4gb SDHC class 6 memory card, hama tripod, and canon adapter + hood kit.

me happy :-) - some S5 photos my my cam, (see for the S5 tag below the photographs)

http://focusring.blogspot.com/2007/07/wanna-race.html

hope this helps pls ask any specific queries

Elango

Post subject: Not a Pro review but
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 pm 

I upgraded from an S2 (which I love) for the following reasons:

1) Face Detection; 2) hotshoe, 3) 2.5 in. screen

After about 1100 shots in three weeks I'm quite happy with the camera EXCEPT they moved the memory card to the battery compartment. BAD move and really a pain in the butt.

Other than that I like the image quality up to ISO 200. After that it's a mess (as with all superzooms).

Hope this helps.

http://www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny
http://community.webshots.com/user/johngaltny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:38 pm 

Hello John, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!

Hmmm, I think you missed to tell us which Canon you upgraded to! Is it the S5?
Do you already have some experience with the face-detection?
How does it help? Did you make some comparisons with and without face-detection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:05 pm 

Tom,

Yes I upgraded from the S2 to the S5. Had the S2 for about 18 months and 10,000 or so shots so I'm basically familiar with the S5 settings.

I'm still playing with face detection. It works pretty well outside but I need to test it in low light indoors. Will report back when I do.

Have yet to get an external flash but will probably get the EX 430 at the end of the year or so.

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning here and having some fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John, once you're familiar with your S5, it'd be great to read a User Review from you in the forum! Who knows when Canon will send me mine to review...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:45 am 
Site Admin

John, just to let you know I split the topic here so that your quick report on the S5 IS could go into our User Reviews section where it will be seen by more people - hope you don't mind!

So to see John's quick report, click here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=982

Feel free to continue this thread too though!

Gordon

Post subject: Movin' OK with me Gordon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:15 pm 

No problem Gordon. I'm new here or I would have done that plus I'm hardly a qualified reviewer.

Anyway, I'll post those side by sides asap.

BTW, I only found this site recently and I like it a lot!!

JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks John and glad to be of service!

Make sure you tell your photographer friends about Cameralabs!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:08 pm 

I'm new here ,too.
I hope everyone will have a good time here.