Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:09 am 
Hey Gordon, what is your thoughts on that lens ? I had to buy it because my 18-55 broke.

Extremely Sharp Image, I can't complain about that. However I needed to take some pictures at a car show and being 15 feet away from the car is not really nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Cr4zYH3aD, it's a great quality lens for the money, and both lightweight and useful in low light...

But 50mm on an XTi / 400D is equivalent to 80mm, so it's permanently operating like a short telephoto - hecne you needing to stand back all the time!

Great for portraits though...

You will need something wider for general purpose though - are you gonna replace your 18-55mm with something else?

Check out our Canon lens group test:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 pm 
I don't know if I will replace my 18-55, hopefully it will get repaired, it seems that it has better optics than the 17-85 and IS isn't needed at 85 mm.

I was looking at a prime 20mm or a Canon 10-20 mm or a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM for wider shots, but it's getting extremely expensive for me.

What do you think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:58 pm 

I would wait for the zoom to come back from repair. Then you have the prime lens for low light / moderate telephoto situations.
Or you can sell it and get the Sigma AF 28mm 1.8 EX DG Asp Makro
as a prime lens with a more commonly used focal length (at around 250EUR). But that certainly is not a priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Well the 10-22mm is certainly one the best Canon EF-S lenses.

See our review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon1022EFS/

Look out for a review of the 17-40mm specifically for the 400D coming soon too...

But as Thomas says, I'd stick with the repaired kit lens for a while until you know you definitely want something longer, shorter, stabilised, brighter etc...

And in the meantime you've also got a fixed lens that's great for low light...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 pm 
Hi Gordon. I was at the local camera shop and they let me try the Sigma 10-20. I took 3 pictures. Pretty impressive. Distortion nonetheless. But I like it. It is so wide compared to my 500mm and 18-55.

They had no Canon 10-22. The Canon 10-22 cost avout 1,500$ with the Gold guarantee, and the Sigma 10-20 cost about 850$ with the gold gurantee they offer.

On ebay a brand new Sigma cost 450$ and the Canon 10-22 cost about 650$.

Should I buy on ebay or pay double money but get the gold guarantee ?

Gold Guarantee they offer: If there's water, sand, debris, ect in the lens they change it for free or ship it to canon or the company for free (means free repair).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Gold guarentee? I don't know about anyone else here, but if I found water, sand or other debris in a brand new lens, it would be going straight back to the store or manufacturer for repair at their cost!

The prices on ebay can certainly be tempting, but beware if they look too good, and only buy from reputable sellers who have good ratings. And remember if it's being shipped from abroad, you may need to pay tax and duty when it arrives in your country.

May I ask where you're based? You may be able to get a great deal by ordering from the US, even after tax and duty are taken into consideration.

Check the prices for both the Canon and Sigma ultrawides in our Canon 10-22mm verdict here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon ... age6.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Gold guarentee? I don't know about anyone else here, but if I found water, sand or other debris in a brand new lens, it would be going straight back to the store or manufacturer for repair at their cost!

The prices on ebay can certainly be tempting, but beware if they look too good, and only buy from reputable sellers who have good ratings. And remember if it's being shipped from abroad, you may need to pay tax and duty when it arrives in your country.

May I ask where you're based? You may be able to get a great deal by ordering from the US, even after tax and duty are taken into consideration.

Check the prices for both the Canon and Sigma ultrawides in our Canon 10-22mm verdict here:

Gordon

Have just added the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens to my collection, I bought it based on your review so will give it a try at the weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Nice one Roy!

I think you'll love it - well so long as you're into wide angle of course!

Be great if you can do us a user-review in the Canon forum...

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 am 
I am located in Quebec City, Canada. Lately the Canadian Dollar worth 94 cent USD so it's really nice to buy on these conditions. Let's hope it will last a looooong time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Well, if the Canadian dollar is so close to the US, then I'd say $1500 is definitely waaaay too much for the 10-22! Amazon.com has the Canon 10-22mm for about $680 USD.

According to Pricegrabber, the Sigma is about $480 USD. These are the kind of prices you should be looking at for reputable dealers.

The latest prices for both lenses are on our 10-22mm verdict page here:

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 pm 
Thanks Gordon.

Someone suggested me just to buy the Sigma 10-20, altho it seems to havemore distortion.

I can't decide which lens is the best. But I am amazed by what I could squeeze in the picture using the sigma 10-20

here's a shot with the sigma 10-20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cr4zYH3aD, forum moderator Thomas tried the Sigma, but was disappointed with it and ended up going for a fixed focal length fisheye instead...

I've not tested it myself, but it certainly sells very well...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:25 pm 

The Sigma 10-20mm is amazing - when you get an ok copy. See my sad story here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:30 pm 
Well.. I sure don't want to pay for nothing.. I guess the Canon is better.