Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: uv filter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:08 pm 
Hi , after doubting for quite a while I decided to buy a canon 50 f1.4. Now this is a quite expensive lens and since canon doesn't make a decent hood for it (it's way too short and way to expensive) I'm now considering the purchase of a uv-filter with it. I want a filter that doesn't decrease the image quality of the lens whatsoever.

Now I've read several times that B+W filters are the best filter available. So I went looking on some websites and I found (on the website of a reputable dealer) a B+W 52 mm (50 f1.4 filter thread) uv filter for € 21 or roughly 30 $.
Now isn't that quite cheap for a (top notch ???) uv filter ? Or is it so cheap because of the small filter size ?

Please someone help me out.

Thanks.

Bart

Post subject: UV Filter
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:00 pm 

Hi Bart,

Assuming that I have found the correct item Amazon.com appears to be selling this filter for $26 - see http://tinyurl.com/3xe7td. Looks like €21 is about right.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:11 pm 

I'm not sure about the B&W filter grades, but if you buy a Hoya UV Pro 1 HMC Super you cannot go wrong. It also is around 25-30$. So yes: a good UV-filter at 52mm is not a big investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:44 pm 
So is the hoya filter better than the B+W ? And do they have a negative impact on image quality ?

Post subject: B+W vs Hoya
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:58 pm 

Hi Bart,

I think you would be hard pressed to see any difference between top of the range filters from either B+W or Hoya. For what it's worth, I opted for a B+W for no better reason than I liked the presentation on the Schneider Optics website (http://tinyurl.com/27mz89) - check out their FAQs. Tom would probably be able to point out a similar resource for Hoya.

For day to day use I would certainly recommend using such a filter simply to mechanically protect the much more expensive glass it attaches to. If you suspect that a filter is causing problems in a difficult lighting situation it is only a moment's work to take it off and check. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:49 pm 

The B&W MRC multi coated filters are certainly top range like the respective Hoya. I wouldn't expect any noticable differences.
I have the filter only to protect the front lens after a lot of cleasing efforts on my trip to New Zealand (mostly because of rain/moist).
I'd certainly only take it off when I see that it is dirty and I have no way to properly clean it.