Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:00 am 

I'm thinking of buying an SL1 for my backpacking/pseudo-travel/easy access camera. There is currently a rebate on them, so now's a good time to buy.

Anyone who owns one, what are you thought on it? The review seem pretty positive, but I'm curious how someone who has actually lived with it likes it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

I actually bought the one I used in my review, and lived with it for several weeks before selling - something I do with most of the models I buy for testing, and not reflective over my feelings for it!

I really liked it myself. I'm going off DSLRs in general, especially at the lower-end of the market, but the size of the SL1 / 100D made it more compelling to me than the other models at a similar price. But i would compare closely with Sony's A6000 and other mirrorless cameras around the same price point and ask yourself how important the optical v/f of a DSLR is.

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:28 pm 

Thanks Gordon!

I went to my closest camera store, which is 260 miles away, and checked it out on Tuesday and ended up buying it. I was still considering the T5i also, but weight and size were my main interests and it was a little less expensive; if it were my only camera, I'd choose the T5i over the SL1.

I had looked at the 4/3rds format cameras and they just don't do it for me. For me, looking through a viewfinder is much more instinctive than looking at a view screen; I do appreciate, and occasionally use, the 'live view' functions, but I'd not be happy if that was the main way to use a camera. Also, to make the most of a 4/3rds, I'd need to purchase several new lenses.

Overall I like it, but it won't be replacing my 5D Mk II. :D The camera body is very small, very close to the same size as the Canon SX50 superzoom; it was smaller than I had expected.