Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: S110 or ixus 255 hs?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm 

Hello.
I'm new here, looking for a point and shoot that will produce high quality images, or as high as possible with that kind of camera. I'm hoping those of you who are more knowledgable than me (approximately 100% of you, I'd guess) can help me out.
I spend a lot of time in the mountains, climbing and skiing, which is where I'll be using the camera. Lots of snow around, so I'm assuming that even on overcast days there is enough light that I don't need to be too concerned about low-light capabilities of the camera. Is this a correct assumption?
The images will be used for webpages as well as the occasional slideshow.
As you have probably guessed, I have almost no knowledge about photography. I have been trying to read a bit about cameras, so I would know what to think about.
I'm looking at the canon s110 and the canon ixus 255 hs. I know there are lots of reviews to be found of both, but since they are generally considered to belong to different "classes" of cameras, they are never compared directly. I have the impression that the s110 is a bit more of a "real" camera, and has a good reputation. However, I probably won't be using the options for manual control very much, and I'm wondering if there is any point for me choosing the s110. Both are available to me at almost the same price, so that is not a concern.

Here are my thoughts:
Both cameras have the same digic 5 processor.
Both cameras have 24 mm wide angle.
Both seem to have the same type of stabilisation (or am I mistaken here?)
Both use CMOS type sensors, but the one in s110 is larger: 1/1.7 vs 1/2.3, which is one of my main reasons for choosing the s110 over the ixus 255hs - will this difference in sensor size make a difference to image quality in my situation?

S110:
-This seems to be a "safe" choice. Many people speak well of the s-series.
-Has better aperture: 2-5.9 vs 3-6.9. From what I understand, after trying to research what aperture does, this is good for producing shallow depth of field and shooting in low light. Normally I'm trying to show the climber/skier in his/her environment (the mountains), so I want both subject and background to be sharp. Should the better f-number be a consideration for me?
-Seems to have a better/more advanced lens configuration
-Has the ability to shoot HDR, something I find very interesting since I often find myself in landscapes with a big difference in brightness between foreground and background. But can a non-skilled photographer actually use this feature or does it require some level of training? I am never carrying a tripod.
-Larger sensor
-Can make raw-files. This may be an advantage if I learn to use them, which seems complicated.

Ixus 255 hs:
-Has better battery life
-Has bigger zoom range: 10x vs 5x
-Is lighter: 144 g vs 198 g. The difference may seem insignificant, but consider that it is not uncommon for people participating in these activities to cut the washing instructions out of their clothes to save weight. However, if I can produce significantly better images with the s110, it's weight is still acceptable.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: Can I get better, sharper, crisper images - when I'm outdoors, in the mountains and using the camera with automatic settings - with the s110 than I can with the ixus 255 hs? Does anyone have experience with both?

Any thoughts are appreciated

Post subject: Re: S110 or ixus 255 hs?
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:18 am 

Quote:
Lots of snow around

With snow, and I assume rain, I think you may want more of a weatherproof camera than anything else.
This means my suggestion is the D20.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon 430EX II
Opteka 13mm, 21mm, and 31mm extension tubes
Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 for OM System

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:08 am 

Thanks for answering. I looked at the d20 and I wasn't quite as impressed with the images as I was with the Ixus 255 or s110. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the two other cameras I mentioned produced better images in the reviews I've seen. And while the ruggedness of the d20 would be nice, I'm not sure it's necessary - the snow I'm talking about will mostly be on the ground. If snow is falling from the sky or it's raining, the camera generally stays protected inside my pack. At the moment I'm using an Ixus 70, and it has survived this environment for many many years. So I don't want ruggedness at the cost of image quality or weight.
The d20 also has less wide angle (28mm vs 24mm) and I think wide angle would be quite useful for me. Plus, the d20 is more expensive for me.
I've decided I want something that can produce the best possible images for a small lightweight camera and for the moment the s110 and Ixus 255 hs feels like the two best options which are also in my price range. However, I'm open to suggestion if I have overlooked something.
Thanks again for your suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:43 am 

As I am not you, I cannot know what will be perfect for you. What I can do is explain what I would do for myself and try to explain why I would make those decisions. Hopefully by doing this, I can give you enough information you can make your decision; which will probably be different than what I would do.

So for me, if I wanted a compact camera for really good image quality, I would probably get either an EOS-M or a powershot G series.
Both of which are probably out of your budget; with the G being too bulky. While powershots can be good cameras, with the exception of the G series I tend to think of the image quality as relatively in the ball park of each other. Battery life can vary, so I would not base a decsion on that. The last time I got a powershot for myself it was a powershot A10 from 2001/2002. Even then it was a gift that got me into photography. Upgraded from that to a rebel XTi/400D, and from there to a 5DIII.

Humn, just realize that waiting 6 years before I do a massive upgrade in body is not abnormal for me. Good to know.

Anyways, with all that said, from what you have described I would tend to go with the S110. Canon tends to use the same sensor in their S series as their G series, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to just jpg. A nice rule of thumb is any zoom over 5x will be a compromise in image quality. If you want a zoom over 5x, go for a 20x (SX280 HS) or something similar; and recognize it is a compromise. Also, having more light means you can have a faster shutter speed so your subjects are not as blury due to slight movement. Increasing the light coming in decreases the amount of time to wait for the light to get to a certain point. Also, just because you may not use the camera open all the way all the time does not mean it could not be handy.

This is not to say the Ixus 255 is a bad camera, and it may be the perfect compromise for you. The only thing I really see going for it is the 10x zoom, and at that point I would prefer a 20x or more. If you are just going to have jpg photos, I don't think you will be pixel peeping and squeezing every last capability out of the camera, which means you will probably not notice much difference between the cameras. As I said, the Ixus 255 might be the best compromise for you.

Not sure if this helped or not.

Canon 430EX II

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:25 pm 

So after doing a bit more thinking as to what you stated you want, I would have to recommend the IXUS 255 for you.

The S110 has some nice stuff, but most of that nice stuff is under a category of "might be nice to have" rather than "I know I would want this."
Whereas the benefits in the 255 are clearly in the "I know I want this" category.

This is not the camera I would get, but that is mainly due to having a different value system for cameras than you do; which is what I was trying to get across in my previous post.

Canon 430EX II