Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm 

Hi everyone. While I read a lot of reviews and tips, this is my first time posting to the forum and I appreciate any help you all can offer.
We have had the Canon 60D for a few years now and have collected some lenses over that time frame beyond the kit lens it came with - a fisheye lens to help capture wider frames, the f/1.4 50 mm, a 100mm macro, and the 70-200mm f/4. We love traveling to unique places with cool landscapes and wildlife, so that has had a big influence on our choices.
But, our focus has recently shifted as we now have a little boy who, at 7 months, is about to be on the move. While the 50 mm lens takes great portraits, we're looking for something more versatile. If we have to switch between lenses, we risk missing out on the big moments. For that reason, my husband has been using the kit lens, but it's horrible in low-light/indoor situations.
So, can anyone provide me with a recommendation for an everyday go-to lens that can capture these precious moments? I don't really have a budget in mind so I'm open to anything.
Thanks for your help!
Shannon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:23 pm 

I'd recommend the Sigma DC 17-70mm 2.8-4 OS HSM as it offers a wider range than the 18-55mm and it gets pretty much more light.

The Canon 15-85mm might have a better image quality and an even better range but it's much more expensive and doesn't let more light in.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 am 

scblions wrote:
...For that reason, my husband has been using the kit lens, but it's horrible in low-light/indoor situations.

Which kit lens? If you mean the 18-135mm (which I own, BTW) or 18-200mm, I'm not aware of any constant f2.8 (or faster) zooms that cover that range.

However, if you mean the 18-55mm, on a crop sensor 60D, in addition to the Sigma lens Jiko mentioned above, you could also upgrade to Canon's 17-55mm f2.8 for around $1,000. (I also own a copy of this lens.)

Or if even f2.8 is too slow, Sigma also makes an 18-35mm f1.8 which is obviously shorter, but in addition to being more than a stop faster, also costs a bit less (around $800). (Full disclosure: I own one of these, too.)

Other than that, you'll have to switch between f2.0 primes and risk missing the shot.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:31 am 

I also have two kids, they are 6 and 8, trying to capture them taught me a lot about photography and at time can be quite frustrating and hard work.
The 15-85 is a great general purpose lens , in particular if you use it with an external flash. Indoor and in low light the 7D and therefore the 60D struggles.
It will not give you an advantage with light over the kit lens.
Consider buying a flash and using it with the kit lens.

But then flash photography doesn`t always give you the results you want, but it can come in very handy. There is a learning curve, but its good to have one.

I personally prefer the the tamron 24-70 2.8 over the range of 17-50 2.8 crop sensor lenses it gives me the 2.8 aperture where I want it, not a the wide end but where I can get a good close up and get decent background blur.

Also, if you upgrade your body one day consider a full frame sensor, in comparison to the 60D a 6D can see in the dark. Going full frame makes a huge difference in that regard. The 24-70 Tamron is full frame compatible unlike the other 17-50 f 2.8 lenses.

I guess it comes down to budget and priorities, since you already got a 1.4 lens, try adding a flash. Then maybe, get a lens that you can use on both bodies like the 24-70 Tamron 2.8. Then look at going full frame for low light performance. The 50 1.4 will be awesome on full frame, it will also turn your f4 70-200 in a great portrait lens.

If its possible two bodies is a great solution, the 60D with the reach of the crop sensor and a full frame like the 6D for its low light performance and extra background blur. They compliment each other well. Then you are more likely to have one camera ready to go with the right lens.

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic