Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon SX700 review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:17 pm 

Firstly, great review as always.

The scores:
Overall:

18 / 20
18 / 20 IQ
17 / 20
17 / 20
18 / 20

84%

actually amounts to 88%

Curiously, the TZ40/ZS30 also amounted to 88% and it received a 16/20 for IQ.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... dict.shtml

IQ needs to have a higher weighting, otherwise a 20 in all scores and an 8/20 for IQ still amounts to 88%.

Post subject: Re: Canon SX700 review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:54 pm 

MarioV wrote:
IQ needs to have a higher weighting, otherwise a 20 in all scores and an 8/20 for IQ still amounts to 88%.

To play devil's advocate, amazing image quality isn't the be all and end all of a camera and if a particular factor isn't definitive for all cameras, scoring should not be weighted in its favour. It's nice to have excellent image quality it but some would happily trade down image quality by a small degree if they could get the shots they wanted without too much trouble.

Putting the crop factor aside, if I had to choose between the Canon 5D Mark II and the Canon 7D for action photography, I'd most likely take the 7D due to its better autofocus and burst rate even if the 5D Mark II has better dynamic range and low light performance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 am 

An 8/20 represents unacceptable image quality. Your Mark II analogy would be more like comparing it to a point and shoot, ie. A DSLR with P&S IQ would possibly rate that DSLR as 8/20. NO-ONE would buy it just because it had perfect build quality etc. so would it deserve an 88%?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:49 am 

My 5D Mark II analogy is not like comparing a DSLR with a P&S, it's like comparing a full-frame DSLR with an crop-frame DSLR, which is exactly what I did.

If you want to go for more similar cameras, how about the Canon 1DX and the Nikon D4s? Reviews suggest the D4s' image quality at higher ISO is a little better than the 1DX's own but the 1DX's autofocus is better at tracking fast-moving subjects. Would you suggest the D4s should get a much higher score through weighting even though you'd get less consistent results shooting fast subjects compared to the 1DX?

Perhaps some wouldn't buy a camera solely if it had perfect build quality but at the same time some people may be apprehensive to buy a camera regardless of how good its image quality was if its ergonomics were awkward or if other feature sets were wanting compared to its contemporaries.

You can pick holes in pretty much any rating system. I've always found the rating system here to be useful as a guide to supplement the final verdict, especially when caveats can skew ratings in a subjective manner.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:15 am 

Hi,
They dropped the image quality from 18 to now 17, why is that?
I think image quality should be weighted higher than even with all other areas. I think that is the area where most photographers would see as the highest priority. :D
Cheers
Steve.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 pm 

stephennic wrote:
Hi,
They dropped the image quality from 18 to now 17, why is that?
I think image quality should be weighted higher than even with all other areas. I think that is the area where most photographers would see as the highest priority. :D
Cheers
Steve.

It is strange because the image quality was clearly better than the Panasonic TZ60..and now its been rated as the same. Perhaps there was some pressure to even the score.
Imagine a camera that rated a 20 in all areas but a 1 in image quality. It would have a high score of 81 even though the lens was cheap plastic, gave crap images and noone in their right minds would purchase it.