Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon 70D (w)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm 

Hello world.
I've received my 70D two days ago and have been reading through the manual and getting around in the in-camera menus, but can't seem to get a grip on how to get the 7 bracketed exposures to stay separate. In the cameras "HDR" mode, the 3 are always combined. Fine.

I might be missing the obvious, (won't be the first time). I don't understand the manual if in fact it is saying I can keep the up to 7 exposures separate for later mapping in P.S., Lightroom, Enfuse or whatever, before combining.
Could someone please help out explaining how to keep shots separate, if in fact it is possible?
I'm trying to; "step back from that ledge my friend."
Many thanks.
logan
Santa Cruz, Ca.

Last edited by logan on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Canon 70D (w)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:49 pm 

Have you changed the exposure option under the Custom functions setting to 7? By default, it's set to 3 exposures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 am 

Thanks for the reply Rorschach.
I had been there once before (and set it to 7) but I missed going through the rest of options.
Also, I assumed it would take however many exposures I had it set, sequentially, by itself.
Seems I have to depress the shutter button for each one and that won't work, for low light compositions obviously. (My first DSLR), long time 4x5 etc. film guy.
Don't see a place for my cable releases, so I guess I'm looking for gadget to fire them off in sequence.
Any suggestion regarding that? I still use a cave-man flip phone, (no smart phone), so that's out.
Has anybody out there written (or know of) a more complete guide to capturing, grouping those "7" or so shots into one image name with diff extensions, or something to that effect. I want export all "7" to hard drive as separate images and edit with Enfuse and Lightroom before maybe taking the final grouped image (one to rule them all:-) to CS4E or CS5 if needed for final adjustments.
Hope that's at least somewhat clear.
Many thanks to whoever wades through above.
Coffee anyone?
logan
ps, This menue also has two exposure settings. I think; 1/3 or 1/2 and then the stops between exposures. The stops between exposures I understand, but the "1/3 or 1/2" thing I don't get.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 am 

I don't have my 70D handy at the moment, so I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, in AEB mode (Auto-Exposure Bracketing) (where the image files are kept separate, as opposed to HDR where they are combined in camera), the 70D will fire off 3 shots with one (long) shutter press if the drive mode is set to do so (continuous as opposed to single shot). Or I believe you can also use the self-timer. (Also, shooting/composing in "Live View" will eliminate "mirror slap".)

HTH - Mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 am 

Thanks Mark,
Still chasing it down.
logan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:20 pm 

Update:
Finally got things going along pretty well with 7 different exposures producing 7 images of same scene, all going off right after another with a continuous drive setting.  But now something has changed; somehow there are now 7 copies of each of the 7 exposures. 7x7 ends up with 49 images!. WHAT THE! By scrolling through the 49 images every 7th click of the wheel brings up the next exposure level, etc.
In other words there are 7 copies of each exposure: 7at 0, 7 at -2, 7at -1 etc, etc.
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
logan