Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 70D vs XTi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 pm 

Hello All,

I pop in here quite often to see what's up but forgot what me old username was so am starting afresh.

I bought an XTi with a 17-85 lens almost 7 years ago to get going in the DSLR world. It's been a fine camera for most our needs although the lens broke several years ago and still awaits sending off for repair. I got a 28-135 in great condition and quite cheap off craigslist as a sort of replacement.

The major fault of the XTi is its poor ability to focus in lowish light conditions, often when requiring flash, for example, at a recent wedding reception my wife took pics off all the guests at the tables in a dimly lit environment and lost quite a few to out-of-focus (yes, I know, she should review the pic before moving on).

Reading the specs page on Canon's website I see "Metering Range EV 1-20 (ISO 100 at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens)". In the review of the 70D is says it is sensitive down to -0.5EV and the 6D that a friend just got is good to -3EV. Am I correct in thinking that the XTi's equivalent lowest sensitivity is 1EV? How much difference does this make 1EV to -0.5EV?

Been keeping an eye on the xxD improvements over the years and the 70D finally looks like a major enough jump and with features I like to think about splurging.

As an aside there's some funny deals out there is USA land. B&H had one a while back: $1249 after $300 rebate; 70D + 18-135STM, a Pro-10 printer. Now Adorama has $1349 after $400 rebate for same kit, Pro-100 printer and EF-S 55-250. I have the 55-250 and don't need the printer, but it's odd to me because the basic kit with 18-135STM is $1400-1450 at most places. Hoping I can get something good on "black Friday". $1400 is just a bit too much at the moment.

cheers
Bryce

Post subject: Re: 70D vs XTi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm 

Welcome back! :)

I used an XTi for most of my early DSLR shooting, even buying a second one that I kept for a while, before a 40D displaced it. That first XTi remains, having reverted to being a shared family camera. Yes, in good light, it still does quite well, but in low light, there are better alternatives.

For a good read on low-light shooting, Zack Arias's Tumblr site has an article, "Low Light Blues," that should become evident with an internet search. (This iPad is not very good for copying and pasting.) Even better, follow the Cameralabs support link to Amazon, and order either the physical or Kindle edition of Zack's book, in which a chapter expands upon his Tumblr post, and specifically addresses low-light images being found slightly out-of-focus. His terminology is very non-technical; easy to understand.

I know very little about the 70D, so cannot be helpful in that regard. When I saw it replicated the ergonomics and controls of the 60D, I lost interest. The superb ergonomics of the 7D was one of two factors that firmly established me as a Canon DSLR shooter, rather than buying a D300s, which my wife was using at the time. (The other factor was my first high-end lens acquisition, an EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS.)

To be clear, I am not saying the 70D is a bad camera! :) My long, skinny hands prefer the hand-filling grips and heft of the semi-pro/pro 7D bodies, to balance heavy lenses while I shoot one-handed at night, as my left hand is often holding an off-camera LED light/torch or Speedlite, and cannot support the weight of the lens.

I do hope that some of the 70D's AF technology, along with some a the 6D's low-light AF capability, trickles into a 7D successor! :)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:26 am 

BryceM wrote:
How much difference does this make 1EV to -0.5EV?

1.5 stops. So instead of buying a new camera, you could also:

a) increase your ISO 1.5 stops (assuming you don't mind more noise)
b) decrease your shutter speed 1.5 stops (assuming you don't mind more motion blur)
c) buy a lens that's (at least) 1.5 stops faster than your current f3.5-5.6 (assuming you have the budget) (In actuality, it may end up being several (prime) lenses, since I'm not aware of any zooms that go from 28-135mm at f2.0-3.5)

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm 

Maestro wrote:
BryceM wrote:
How much difference does this make 1EV to -0.5EV?

1.5 stops. So instead of buying a new camera, you could also:

a) increase your ISO 1.5 stops (assuming you don't mind more noise)
b) decrease your shutter speed 1.5 stops (assuming you don't mind more motion blur)
c) buy a lens that's (at least) 1.5 stops faster than your current f3.5-5.6 (assuming you have the budget) (In actuality, it may end up being several (prime) lenses, since I'm not aware of any zooms that go from 28-135mm at f2.0-3.5)

Mark

So 1 EV = 1 stop, probably should have googled that in 0.5s
Most times this occurs are for candid shots where one does't have much time to adjust. The camera is on full auto and has the flash up and the flash flickers to give some more light for focusing. I'm more aware of what it's trying to do and can compensate, but other users aren't and sometimes get a muffed shot. I'm guessing that the lens is probably fully open for the focal distance on full auto and flash sync speed is, what, 1/200s?

Actually looking up the X-sync spec I now see from Canon's site for the XTi:
AF Working Range EV -0.5-18 (ISO 100 at 73°F/23°C)

and for the 70D:
AF Working Range Center AF Point: EV -0.5 to 18*
Other AF Points: EV 0 to EV 18*
* At room temperature and ISO 100, based on Canon's testing standards

The 6D:
AF Working Range
Center AF Point: EV -3 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
Other AF points: EV +0.5 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)

And why not toss in the 7D while I'm at it:
AF Working Range EV -0.5-18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)

so it looks like the 70D and 7D are no more sensitive than the XTi and the 6D is significantly better than all the others.

Suppose I should have looked up the specs before posting :D !

I like the specs of the 70D because Canon have come up with a solution for better AF in live view /movie mode, articulating and touch screen look useful.
I have thought of the 7D is the past as a good upgrade, but surely the 7D will be Marked II sometime soon and it's still quite a bit pricer than the 70D.

Thanks for your replies
Bryce