Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 pm 

re: Canon 70D... Slow shot-to-shot times in Live View.

Hi Gordon & Camera Labs Folk! Thanks for all your GREAT work.

TIME for NEW CAM!

Long story short, I lost most of the use of my right hand :oops: for years (guitar, RSI injury) (but have returned to guitar (miracle :D ). In the interim, I HAD to use a) an Articulating Scr./ Live View & b) VR.

If you have any thoughts or recommendations about issues below, I would be MOST GRATEFUL for any and all of them.

I thought I’d HATE the articulating screen, but now couldn’t live without Articulating Scr./ Live View as a creative composition tool. Even with the pros snickering about that, I was able to shoot, print (Pixma 9500) and SELL prints with my now-slowly-dying Nikon Coolpix.

I've been PRAYING for OLY to make the M 4/3rd w/ FULLY Articu. screen, and they just won't do it. I LOVE and WANT that OLY glass!! (I cried when the news came out about the Olympus OM-D E-M1… w only TILTing screen.)

So, that brings me to the Canon 70D. I read your (Gordon’s) excellent review.

I am wondering, however, in a RELATIVE way, what Gordon means by “Slow shot-to-shot times in Live View.”

How would “Slow shot-to-shot times in Live View” compare to other good (if there are any) mid – level DSLRs w/ Articulating screens? Or m4/3rds?

So
- need articulating screen
- Best $900 - $1500 camera that does low light best
- Fast, accurate AF (like Oly’s been claiming), and now Canon with 70D

Also, the ‘thought’ of paying anything for a ‘kit’ lens just hurts.

If you think the 70D might fit my ‘bill,’

- If I could afford ONE lens...
- what do you think of the kit lens?
- compared to the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM 2.8

- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (though I almost can’t stand the thought of not having 2.8 available on my MAIN, “walking around” lens…

Any other thoughts or considerations are overly welcome!!

Many thanks, and Many Best Wishes,

Superdonut

PS Do I understand correctly that m4/3rds have a lesser AF capability, and aren’t as good in low light?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 am 

First, as a fellow musician (hence the "maestro" nic), glad to hear you're back playing!

Moving on to the photography stuff:

Quote:
I've been PRAYING for OLY to make the M 4/3rd w/ FULLY Articu. screen, and they just won't do it. I LOVE and WANT that OLY glass!! (I cried when the news came out about the Olympus OM-D E-M1… w only TILTing screen.)

Any lenses that can be used on an E-M1 can also be used on Panasonic m4/3 cameras, some of which do have fully articulated LCDs.

Quote:
I am wondering, however, in a RELATIVE way, what Gordon means by “Slow shot-to-shot times in Live View.”

How would “Slow shot-to-shot times in Live View” compare to other good (if there are any) mid – level DSLRs w/ Articulating screens? Or m4/3rds?

As he said in the review:

"Take a photo at the same time with a mirrorless camera and the EOS 70D, and while they may both focus and react at the same speed, the 70D will generally take much longer to return you to back to a capture view. With image review disabled, I timed the 70D taking around two seconds between the shot being taken and the live view returning for composition. In contrast, a native mirrorless camera like the Olympus OMD EM5 took less than a second between taking a photo and returning you to a live view. This may not sound like a big deal written down, but in practice I found the 70D's live view was frustratingly slow when taking portraits or shots of kids in live view. Sure the focus and response once the live image was available was quick, but it took too long before I could recompose and shoot again for subsequent shots."

Quote:
- If I could afford ONE lens...
- what do you think of the kit lens?
- compared to the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM 2.8

Depends on whether you need f2.8 or STM more.

Quote:
PS Do I understand correctly that m4/3rds have a lesser AF capability, and aren’t as good in low light?

Sort of. Contrast Detect AF obviously relies on contrast (edges, differences between light and dark areas) and so are not as good in low light when there is less contrast (light areas are not as light). Also, CD AF tends to "hunt" or "pulse". Much like people do when focusing manually, CD AF will go slightly past the point where the image is in focus and then "pull back". Also, unlike Phase Detect AF, CD AF can't tell "which way" the subject is out of focus. (Too close or too far.) So CD AF will sometimes guess wrong and start to adjust focus in the wrong direction before correcting themselves.

HTH - Mark

P.S. Full disclosure: I own a T4i (650D) and 18-135mm STM kit lens and 17-55mm f2.8 lens (and a bunch of other EF(-S) glass), as well as a Panasonic GH2 and Olympus E-PL5 (and a bunch of m4/3 lenses).