Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 pm 

I would truly like to see the true quality a high quality full frame Lens image looks like on crop frame DSLR.

Can people here plse post pictures taken with one of the Best Prime lens on a Full Frame and a Crop Frame DSLR, AT THE BEST QUALITY POSSIBLE Please!!!

I really need to see the True Quality of Quality Prime Lenses on a Crop Frame so I would can see and know its Truly worth it to buy a full frame prime and other full frame zooms.

And yes I know the Field of view is smaller on a crop frame, meaning that I see the best part of the FF lens image, the middle!!

I know the full frame lens should be great quality a crop frame, and I want to see it in qualities I dont want to hunt all over the internet for!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 pm 

You hardly have to hunt all over the internet for such images.

On Flickr, for example, there are groups dedicated to specific lenses and it's less than a back-breaking effort for you to find (assuming that you're talking about the L series) the lens/body combo you're looking for.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am 

Indeed, finding images like that should not be too difficult. Also, based on your other topics, I think you are interested in a specific camera right? Try getting in touch with owners of that particular model and the type of lens you are interested in, rather than asking for FF lenses on APS-C cameras. There will be significant differences from one lens/camera to the next.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

I have learned what I needed to learn on a forum that has far more and far quicker responses, I learned that crop sensors magnify the center image of a full frame lens, and that most Full Frame zoom lenses dont perform any better on crop frame sensors than the best crop frame lenses, the EF 24-70mm f2.8 L IS II USM lens being the only Full Frame standard zoom to perform much better on crop!!

Full Frame primes and other high quality full frame lenses do perform much better on crop frame cameras than crop frame lenses!!

Crop Frame cams with higher pixel densities than certain full frames I learned make better crops at a giving focal length at a given distance from subject than the same crops on a full frame camera of the same given lens and given focal length, someone even posted pics to prove it to me,
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... 263&page=5 look at post #63 by TeamSpeed.

Next scenario I figured out, a crop and a full frame camera at a given field of view, using the same lenses at the same distance from subject using different focal lengths to get the same FOV on both cameras.

The full frame cam in this case will have better crop, as the subject is evenly spread though out the entIre frame on both crop and full frame cams in this scenario, again TeamSpeed proves this to be true
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... 263&page=5

the first post of the above link.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm 

I had realised long ago that most sample pics posted online are not the full quality the lenses and cameras can offer.

The Camera and lenses I have chosen are now the Canon 70D Canon EFS 15-85mm, and 2 primes, EF 40mm f2.8 and EF 85mm f1.8.

I have always been saying that the efs 15-85mm has been my choice and I found no other zoom lens, not even a full frame that for me is better on crop frame cam as a standard zoom.

The primes are for better quality at those chosen focal length, these are all the lenses I need, until canon makes good replacements with the same focal lengths!

People have suggested on all forum I just buy the cam with the efs 15-85 and see what the focal lengths are like, thats my plan, so I can truly see whether or not i need wider lens for landscape and tele for sports.

I have already chosen them should I decide I want them! the EF 8-15mm fisheye, and the EF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:34 pm 

LORD Edon wrote:
I have learned what I needed to learn on a forum that has far more and far quicker responses, I learned that crop sensors magnify the center image of a full frame lens, and that most Full Frame zoom lenses dont perform any better on crop frame sensors than the best crop frame lenses, the EF 24-70mm f2.8 L IS II USM lens being the only Full Frame standard zoom to perform much better on crop!!

It's a common misconception that crop-frame sensors magnify the centre of the image - they do no such thing. The focal length remains fixed regardless of the size of the sensor - with crop-frame you just have a focal length equivalent to shooting with a full-frame sensor because the sensor doesn't cover the whole area visible through an EF lens on an APS-C/APS-H body and today's crop-frame sensors, particularly in the case with Canon, have higher pixel densities.

I'm aware that you can potentially get better quality images straight from the camera given with crop-frame sensors as the sensor tends not to pick up things like light flares, vignetting, distortion, softness, etc as seen on the edges of some lenses on full-frame bodies.

CSCs: Panasonic DMC-GF3
Lenses: Panasonic Lumix G 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 pm 

I know the focal length is fixed, as for the magnifying thing, thinking about it now you are right, the only thing thats magnified is the digital image itself.

I did 'Basic' lens physics, so the focal length dont change because the image screen size changed.

I really now would just have to save up the money buy the cam and lenses and see what DSLR quality is truly like for myself!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 am 

One thing to remember though a good lens will last you years, so if you are ever considering upgrading to a full frame camera it might be worth getting full frame lenses now. That's the main reason I got the 24-105 over the 15-85.

Oh that is so lame, every hot girl who can aim a camera thinks she’s a photographer -Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:33 pm 

jameswilby5 wrote:
One thing to remember though a good lens will last you years, so if you are ever considering upgrading to a full frame camera it might be worth getting full frame lenses now. That's the main reason I got the 24-105 over the 15-85.

That james i learned long ago, that lenses as great as the EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM are not upgrade for years, my standard zoom wont be full frame, as only the ef 24-70mm f2.8 L II, perform better on crop frame than the other full frame zoom perform agains the efs 15-85mm.

i intend to buy full frame standard primes, the EF 85mm 1.8, the EF 40mm 2.8, My intended wide lens, will be the fish eye EF 8-15mm, which compliment my standard zoom with the 15mm long end meeting the 15m wide end of the efs 15-85mm.

When I get money I want to buy the tele lens i described.

What I intend to buy for sure, is the efs zoom and the EF primes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 am 

I'm going to come out of retirement here. Something tickled me earlier today, so I'll quote:

There are two main types of people there are when it comes to making decisions. The first type of person he describes is the "satisficer" someone who makes decisions that are "good enough" that satisfies them. The second type of person is the "maximizer" someone who tries to make the "best" decisions given a certain situation and strives for perfection.

For example, a satisficer might go to a store looking for a camera that suits his or her needs - and once he/she finds the camera that they find to be reasonably good, they will buy it.

The maximizer is the type of person that is looking for the "perfect camera" and spends hours agonizing over reviews, sharpness tests, and specification tables.

Guess who tends to be more regretful/miserable when it comes to making decisions? You guessed it - the maximizer.

The first concept of "satisficing" came around in the 1950's from Nobel Prize-winning economist and psychologist Herbert Simon. This is how Schwartz describes Simon's position in the book:

"Simon suggested that when all the costs (in time, money, and anguish) involved in getting information about all the options are factored in, satisfying is, in fact, the maximizing strategy."

So how do you know if you are a satisficer or a maximizer? Well take this survey below. Write a number from 1-7 (completely agree to completely disagree) and add up the numbers. If your score is 40 or lower, you are a satisficer. If your score is 65 or higher, you are a maximizer.

Maximization Scale:

Whenever I'm faced with a choice, I try to imagine what all the other possibilities are, even ones that aren't present at the moment.
No matter how satisfied I am with my job, it's only right for me to be on the lookout for better opportunities.
When I am in the car listening to the radio, I often check other stations to see if something better is playing, even if I am relatively satisfied with what I'm listening to.
When I watch TV, I channel surf, often scanning through the available options even while attempting to watch one program.
I treat relationships like clothing: I expect to try a lot on before finding the perfect fit.
I often find it is difficult to shop for a gift for a friend.
Renting videos is really difficult. I'm alway struggling to pick up the best one.
When shopping, I have a hard time finding clothing that I really love.
I'm a big fan of lists that attempt to rank things (the best movies, the best singers, the best athletes, the best novels etc).
I find that writing is very difficult, even if it's just writing a letter to a friend, because it’s so hard to word things just right. I often do several drafts of even simple things.
No matter what I do, I have the highest standards for myself.
I never settle for second best.
I often fantasize about living in ways that are quite different from my actual life.
(From the American Psychological Association)

When Schwartz studied the differences between satisficers and maximizers, he found the following tendencies:

Maximizers engage in more product comparisons than satisficers, both before and after they make purchasing decisions.
Maximizers take longer than satisficers to decide on a purchase.
Maximizers spend more time than satisficers comparing their purchasing decisions to the decisions of others.
Maximizers are more likely to experience regret after a purchase.
Maximizers are more likely to spend time thinking about hypothetical alternatives to the purchases they've made.
Maximizers generally feel less positive about their purchasing decisions.
Not only that, but there was more negative attributes that Schwartz discovered about maximizers:

Maximizers savor positive events less than satisficers and do not cope as well (by their own admission) with negative events.
After something bad happens to them, maximizers' sense of well-being takes longer to recover.
Maximizers tend to brood or ruminate more than satisficers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 pm 

dubaiphil I am a NOT a Maximiser by your definition.

I DONT REGRET any of my purchases I made.
It will be the same with the camera and Lens I buy.

I have seen the advice I can possibly see, and my total gear has fallen, though my basic standard gear, especially lenses are the same.

All inquires into my activities on other forums will be NOT BE ANSWERED!! And DO NOT believe any one else!!

And zim sogen. I know yu are from the photography-on-the.net/forum trying to pretend to be me on this site!!
I am not on games BOY. 2:00pm Mon 5th August 2013, you have been Reported to a Moderator!

dubaiphil what I want is nothing less than best quality and performance from what ever camera I buy, I want to take pics of fast things, like sports and other fast thing people do, and fast animals too, cars and natural things.

I want lenses that give me perfect quality, I was adviced to buy primes, and I chose 2, EF 40mm and EF 85mm 1.8, the EFS 15-85mm for when I want zooming and great quality in one lens, those are my standard lenses I chose.
2 other lenses I plan to buy later are the EF 8-15mm, on crop they will be better quality than crop wide of similar focal lengths, for telephoto I chose the EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM.

I have been advised to buy something cheap and learn, learn I will, buying cheap just to learn is a waste of My Money!!!

Minimum I plan to save by year's end is $1300USD, I have heard the , "I wont buy this and that" and "I wont take pics" before, Get This!! I saved money and bought my $1500USD Custom Computerthat I assembled and maintain myself, and I LOVE IT!!
I will do the same for my Camera and lenses!!

If you have any good advice that wont sacrifice the quality of images and performance that would be welcome.

No sarcastic remarks, or other similar remarks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:11 am 

This was not meant as sarcasm at all.

There is no right or wrong answer. It's a similar comparison between extrovert and introvert.

So please don't take it personally.

Note - this next bit is a little sarcastic though, to be taken with a pinch of salt:

It is said that your first 10,000 photos are your worst. With an average of 25,000 clicks a year on a new digital camera, you'd be well on your way towards taking great photos by now, if you had bought when your original multiply rephrased questions were posted on this forum

:mrgreen:

Back into retirement now...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:19 am 

I know it wasnt sacarsm, and i know you meant well, its just the kind of person I am.

And I am buying what I think I need to get what I want, and I want the best I can afford!

The sarcasm thing, wasn't meant specific for you, just to let others know its better to advice than sarcasm, (I got too much of it on photography-on-the.net/forum)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:26 pm 

maxjj, does the t4i & t3i AF FAST ENOUGH to track and focus quickly on running humans and relatively fast animals?

Any can answer this please!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm 

I have been advised on photography-on-the.net/forum to buy an old xxd cam for less than $200USD.

While my lens choice will be the same, i decided just to learn how to use a cam I mite buy the Canon 20D or 30D along with the efs 15-85mm and ef 40mm lenses.

dubaiphil was the one who convinced me that lenses are most important, and as I did a lot of research I saw just how right he was, so my lens choices I wont compromise.

Next year I buy the 70D at hopefully $800 or much lower!!

I just have to save $1000US by year's end so my brother can bring it down without VAT & DUTY, the old rebels for me are not worth it.

Ebay is where I will buy, and yes I know to watch out for those guys who want to con people on ebay