Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:48 am 

Hello everyone,

I literally googled dslr forums and this came up so I registered

I've started making gym bodybuilding training videos and it all went sour when I tried to do more than a few positions... using a smart phone (samsung galax

I tried to hunt down a proper 1080p video camera, but it's all GARBAGE and even garbage until 5000$.

I have a DSLR (several years old) shoots nice photos but not even 480p video (in old quicktime format )

I didn't realize that over the last 5 years or so that DSLRs can shoot some INSANE 1080p videos.

Long story short. My smartphone had me all washed out, all details lost, veins lost, muscle detail lost, everything washed out, bright as the sun.. only a +- EV setting which does jack... just makes image dark and still garbage... while I am all washed out from the super bright gym lights.

I settled on wanting to get a Canon 700D (rebel t5i) however I want to decide on a PROPER lens.

I see a SI (stabilized image) STM lens of 18-55mm and 18-135mm... I am understanding that the later is far more flexible for long range shots and overall more...

However my goal is to have super detailed focused shots on me while I work out taken by my partner. So maximum detail of sweat, veins, muscle definition (yeah sounds silly but got to make it legitimately intense and detailed as possible -- aside from training its inspiration and entertainment too).

Would the 18-135mm be unecessary or the 18-55mm suffice? Would another type of lens all together be a better choice?

The gym I am in is VERY BRIGHT, lots of lights. I am very white although I will tan in summer lol, regardless these are my main things I need to decide upon before I plunge in with the purchase.

Please let me know! I truly appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 am 

As an example (not me) this is waaay over exposed and washed out, I am guessing this would be fixed with ISO and aperture shutter speed settings more than anything right? I would be dealing with up close stuff like this and from some distance say 6-15 feet shots too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4lUteupuj8

Just trying to take everything into account. Goal is maximum focus on work out and detail on body while coping with extreme light and brightness (and not wanting things to be over exposed and washed out)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am 

First off, re: the video -- considering it's compressed and streamed over the internet, it looked OK to me. So be sure to factor in your intended delivery/display method. i.e. are you going to use youtube or are you going to burn your own Blu-Rays or ... ?

Second, to shoot decent video on a hybrid photo/video camera, you could easily spend upwards of $5,000, as well, and you'll still have compromises that you wouldn't have with a dedicated video camera. (e.g. zooming during a shot will have exposure "flicker".)

That said, since your main criteria seems to be detail, when used with the same lens, a hacked Panasonic GH2 will serve you better than a Canon T5i. (Full disclosure: own and shoot video on both a GH2 and T4i.) The trick is going to be finding a GH2 for a decent price since it's been discontinued, but is still quite popular precisely because of the amount of detail it's capable of capturing when hacked. (If you can't find a moderately priced GH2, I might suggest waiting for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera which should be out in July.)

But having said that, note that I said "when used with the same lens". I said that because the lens will probably have a more significant impact on your image than the camera. And most "kit" lenses that are bundled with a camera body are meant as "all around" "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" lenses. So yes, you should be prepared to spend upwards of $1,000 on better--in your case sharper--lenses for whichever camera you buy. (And maybe another $1,000 on audio gear.) (And maybe another $1,000 on (fill) lights.) (And maybe another $1,000 on accessories: tripod/monopod, dolly, glide cam, extra batteries, SD cards, etc.)

Anyway, welcome to the forum - Mark

P.S. re: "this is waaay over exposed and washed out, I am guessing this would be fixed with ISO and aperture shutter speed settings more than anything right?"

Not really. When shooting video, you want to keep your shutter speed at around twice your frame rate. e.g. 1/50 for 24p or 1/125 for 60p. And most lenses have an aperture range in which they are sharpest (most detailed), so you wouldn't want to change the aperture much, either. So in your case, you'd be limited to ISO adjustments. (And other color/exposure adjustments in post. Which brings up another cost: post software and hardware. e.g. Premiere or Final Cut Pro and assorted plug-ins, and a computer.)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 pm 

sd cards and graphic workstation are no issue i have that.

I am contemplating getting the black magic pocket cinema.

Just not sure what lens to get when it comes out. Honestly I wouldn't want to spend more than 200$ on a lens LOL... if the camera is 995$.

This will be streamed on the internet and im after 1080HD 24p. I like the cinematic look.

The samsung galaxy s3 does not allow ISO settings on video.. it's 'white balance' settings are garbge and do squat except make the image colored if u pick incandescent light or 'sunrise' or 'sunset' lol thats all it has. It has EV which when I lowered it +-, the picture wasn't as over exposed and burnt out/washed out. It's rubbish in a super bright gym with tons of lights.

Youtube 1080HD 24p is what will be posted. I've seen plenty of youtube examples which were very nice, the video the samsung galaxy s3 produces is just crap.

I don't need fill lights or dollys or any of that. It will be recording exercise after exercise and stop. Then I will transfer and edit and upload.

I was lookin gat the GH3 and was recommended this camera but still it came with body only not lens.

Basically it will be shooting me doing exercises 6 feet to maximum 10 feet away that's it and a few up close shots in a very bright crazy illuminated gym. When I look at myself in the mirror I am not 'over exposed' but in the samsung galaxy s3 shots.. i come out crap with everything washed out bright... can't do much with settings on this phone cam...

Thank you for the welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:29 pm 

Hello friend were you able to find right led light.. I am facing similar dilemma so it is great if you are able to help me out.. Waiting for reply

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed unnecessary quote. Please quote responsibly.