Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 8:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 pm 

Hi there,

I would love some help in determining which lens I should purchase as my "everyday walk around" type lens.

I've had a DSLR for a number of years (Canon XTi) and I recently upgraded to the 70D as I wanted a camera with more features and one that I could grow into. I don't anticipate purchasing a full frame. I'm am a beginner in the sense that I am learning the basics of the camera as I always just shot on automatic with my XTi. I do want to get more into photography and so would like some quality lenses.

My interest lies in landscape photography and a little bit of portrait work. I do have the 50mm f/1.4 lense. I've been looking at either the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM as a walk around lens although I'm not sure which one would be best (or perhaps there is another that is even better.) I have also been looking at the 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM as a nice lens for landscape photography.

As for price range, I would like to keep the cost per lense under $1000.

I would love to hear people's suggestions/recommendations for an everyday lens and would also love your thoughts on whether you think the 10-22 would be a good/ideal lens for landscape photography.

Thanks!
Amanda

Last edited by amanda.hiemstra on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:53 am 

Welcome to the forum Amanda. It depends on what you want to shoot for a walk around lens, how far are the subjects and what you want to capture. For me I enjoy shooting outdoor music festivals and sports and found when I had twin lenses 18-55 and 70-200, I always seemed to have the wrong lens on. Buying a 18-200 solved this for me and it’s never comes off the camera unless shooting surfers where I use a longer lens.

For me I found 18 mm to be ok for landscapes and most of my shots are in bright sun so no need for a fast lens. Your 50 mm f1.4 will be great for low light but I’m not sure of your light conditions or your subject distance you may shoot. Guess to save money and buy one lens, careful consideration on what you intend to shoot will get you the lens you want. Although I shoot Nikon, Canon also have some great lenses.

As far as shooting auto for a few years, that's what I did and looking at the exif’s of the shots you like will give a ball park setting for particular conditions.

Have Fun.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 am 

amanda.hiemstra wrote:
I've been looking at either the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM as a walk around lens although I'm not sure which one would be best (or perhaps there is another that is even better.)

If you need constant f2.8 in a walk around lens, then the 17-55mm is pretty much it. (full disclosure: I own one.) But if you don't need f2.8, I'd probably go with Canon's 18-135mm STM which is the kit option that I bought my 70D with. Although, if you don't shoot a lot of video (and therefor don't need STM), the 18-200mm recommended above will get you longer coverage.

I don't have any experience with the 10-22mm; I went with a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 because of the constant brighter aperture (which dovetails nicely with the 17-55m f2.8).

And lastly, for portraits, you may want to have a look at a longer prime. The 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2 and 135mm f2 are all within your budget. (But you may have to do some bargain hunting for the 135mm.) (full disclosure: I own all three.)

Welcome aboard - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:17 am 

I don't know that I need a constant f2.8 (I'm still so new to this that I'm not entirely sure what I need!)

I have read that primes tend to result in better quality pictures and so I'm wondering now if that is the route to go. Maybe I should get the 10-22mm as I do want a lens for landscape photography and then just stick with my 50. Or ... maybe look into another prime to go with my 50. I also have the 75-300mm from Canon (it came with my XTi kit years ago) and so I can use that with a tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:59 am 

You are correct that primes are generally better in terms of image quality as you have to make fewer compromises since you don't have a focal range to shoot from. That's not to say that zoom lenses are inherently poor, however.

Unless you are happy to sacrifice image quality and accept notable distortion (depending on the focal length) for the sake of having a good focal range, I wouldn't recommend the Canon 18-200mm.
The 17-55mm f/2.8 has great IQ though I'm happy with my 15-85mm as it a good balance of IQ, range and price. I don't think you could go wrong either with the 18-135 STM.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am 

Hi Amanda,

Don't forget third party options like the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM. There isn't a review at CameraLabs but Photozone have one here which you might find of interest. The field of view might be a bit wide for a general purpose walkaround lens but if you buy your 70D with the 18-55mm kit lens then, paored with the 8-16mm, you have a lot of framing options available for your landscape photography.

Caveat: It's been a number of years since I shot with a Canon, if you'll pardon the expression, so the above is a suggestion and not a recommendation. Maybe an owner could chip in...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:23 am 

The 50mm is (and will remain for some time) the only lens I have for my Leica, but there are few better lenses to have. A 35mm Lux would probably serve me even better, but a fifty worked for HCB, and so it will do just fine for me.
I could post all the pictures I have shot with the lens in this thread, but I guess linking to some albums works better. Just click on the pictures below to go to the albums.
:o