Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:41 pm 
http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/12/the-hi ... -mark-iii/

The link gets to a site where an astrophotographer compared the Canon 6D directly with the 5DMkIII and 5DMkII for digital noise at higher ISO settings. The test results are very interesting.

My interest is night, low light, star and Aurora photos. As such the 6D looks as if it will be very good for that use. Anyone know of a direct comparison at 10-30 seconds with the Nikon D600?

If I can get a bit cleaner images with either of the Nikons I would buy it over the Canon for this use. If they are equal I will stay with the Canon. Again, the use I am looking at is very low light, longer exposures.(up to 2-15 minutes even at times with lower ISO settings)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:43 pm 

At Cameralabs, you should check the D800 and D600 reviews. I wont fully trust the tests in your link though. While it could be that the 6D is better than the 5D II, it will not at all be better than the 5D III.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:50 am 
In seeing the tests and the individual who did them, for my use in long night exposures I would trust them. Big thing for me is how they compare to what Nikon has right now. I would like to see a comparison of both.

DxO tests say the Nikon sensors of the D600 and D600 rates quite a bit higher than the Canon cameras we are looking at.

Whether that holds in 10sec to 2 min exposures is what I would like to know. No camera stores within hours of here so testing this for me is nearly impossible. If someone does test them, please post results.

Would love it if they could do 15 and 30 second tests at ISO ratings of 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 head to head for noise as the astrophotographer did.